1. Singh GK, Kochanek KD, MacDorman MF. Advance report of final mortality statistics,
1994. Monthly Vital Stat Rep. 1996; 45(Suppl 3).
2. Kellerman AL, Rivara FP, Lee RK et al. Injuries due to firearms in three cities. NEJM,
1996; 335: 1438-44.
3. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Rates of homicide, suicide, and firearm-related
death among children26 industrialized countries. JAMA, 1997; 277: 704-5.
4. Miller TR, Cohen MA. Costs of Penetrating Injury. In Ivatury R, Cayten CG (eds.)
Textbook of Penetrating Trauma. Philadelphia: Lee and Civiga. In press.
5. O'Carroll PW, Loftin C, Waller JB, McDowall D, Bukoff A, Scott RO, Mercy JA, Wiersema
B. Preventing homicide: an evaluation of the efficacy of a Detroit gun ordinance.
American Journal of Public Health, 1991; 81(5): 576-581.
6. Fife D, Abrams WR. Firearms' decreased role in New Jersey homicides after a mandatory
sentencing law. The Journal of Trauma 1989; 29(11): 1548-1551.
7. Loftin C, Heumann
M, McDowall D. Mandatory sentencing and firearms violence: evaluating an alternative
to gun control. Law & Society Review, 1983; 17(2): 287-318.
8. Loftin C, McDowall
D. The deterrent effects of the Florida Felony Firearm Law. Journal of Criminal
Law & Criminology, 1984; 75(1): 250-259.
9. Lucas CE, Ledgerwood AM. Mandatory incarceration for convicted armed felons: a
trauma prophylaxis. Journal of Trauma, 1978; 18(4): 291-2.
10. McDowall D, Lofton C, Wiersema B. Easing concealed firearm laws: effects on homicide
in three states. Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, 1995; 84(1): 193-206.
11. Cummings P, Grossman DC, Rivara FP, Koepsell TD. State gun safe storage laws and
child mortality due to firearms. Submitted for publication, 1997.
12. Kleck G, Patterson EB. The impact of gun control and gun ownership levels on violence
rates. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, 1993; 9(3): 249-287.
13. Loftin C, McDowall
D, Wiersema B, Cottey TJ. Effects of restrictive licensing
of handguns on homicide and suicide in the District of Columbia. NEJM, 1991; 325(23):
14. Mundt RJ. Gun control and rates of firearms violence in Canada and the United
States. Canadian Journal of Criminology, 1990; 32(1): 137-154.
15. Hung CK. "Gun control and rates of firearms violence in Canada and the United
States": comment. Canadian Journal of Criminology, 1993; 35(1): 37-41.
16. Lester D, Leenaars AA. "Gun control and rates of firearms violence in Canada
and the United States": comment. Canadian Journal of Criminology, 1994; 36(4):
17. Sloan JH, Rivara FP,
Reay DT, Ferris JAJ, Kellerman AL. Firearm regulations and rates of suicide: a comparison
of two metropolitan areas. NEJM, 1990; 322: 369-373.
18. Sloan JH, Kellermann
AL, Reay D, Ferris JA, Koepsell TD, Rivara FP, Rice C, Gray L, LoGerfo J. Handgun
regulations, crime, assaults, and homicide. NEJM, 1988; 319(19): 1256-1262.
19. Jung RS, Jason LA. Firearm violence and the effects of gun control legislation.
American Journal of Community Psychology, 1988; 16(4): 515-524.
20. Lester D, Murrell ME. The influence of gun control laws on personal violence. Special Issue: Law and psychology.
Journal of Community Psychology, 1986; 14(3): 315-318.
21. Lester D, Murrell ME. The preventive effect of strict gun control laws on suicide and homicide. Suicide Life-Threat
Behav, 1982; 12(3): 131-40.
22. Lott JR, Mustard DB. Crime, deterrence, and right-to-carry concealed handguns.
Journal of Legal Studies, 1997; 26(1): 1-68.
23. Black DA, Nagin DS. Do "right-to-carry" laws deter violent crime? Unpublished
manuscript. The Heinz School of Public Policy and Management, Carnegie Mellon University,
24. Callahan CM, Rivara FP, Koepsell TD. Money for guns: evaluation of the Seattle gun
buy- back program. Public Health Reports, 1994; 109(4): 470-477.
25. Hardy MS, Armstrong FD, Martin BL, Strawn KN. A firearm safety program for children:
they just can't say no. J Dev Behav Pediatr, 1996; 17(4): 216-21.
26. Davidson LL, Durkin MS, Kuhn L, O'Connor P, Barlow B, Heagarty, MC. The impact of
the Safe Kids/Healthy Neighborhoods Injury Prevention Program in Harlem, 1988 through
1991. American Journal of Public Health, 1994; 84(4): 580-6.
27. Healthy People 2000:
national health promotion and disease prevention objectives for the year 2000. MMWR,
1990; 39(39): 689-697.