Appendix - Recreational Injuries
1. The Injury Fact Book,
Second Edition. Baker SP, ONeill B, Ginsburg MJ, Guohua L, eds. Oxford
University Press, 1992.
2. Smith G, et al. Sports injury hospitalizations: incidence and coding problems. Paper
presented at the annual meeting of the American Public Health Association, New Orleans,
Louisiana. Oct 20, 1987.
3. Gerberich S. Sports injuries: implication for prevention. Public Health Rep, 1985;
100: 670- 671.
4. National Collegiate
Athletic Association. Injury Surveillance System: football. Overland Park, KS, 1990.
of Sports Injuries. Caine D, Caine C, Lindner K, eds.
Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics Publishers, 1996.
6. Derscheid G, Garrick J. Medial collateral ligament injuries in football. American
Journal of Sports Medicine, 1981; 9(6): 365-368.
7. Mueller F, Zemper ED, Peters A. American football. In Epidemiology of sports
injuries. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 1996.
8. Zemper ED. A two-year prospective study of prophylactic knee braces in a national
sample of college football players. Sports Training, Medicine and Rehabilitation,
1990; 1: 287- 96.
9. Grace TG, Skipper BJ, Newberry JC, Nelson MA, Sweetser ER, Rothman ML. Prophylactic
knee braces and injury to the lower extremity. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery,
1988; 70-A(3): 422-7.
10. Shaw R, Brubaker D. The McDavid Guard (MKG) in preventing knee injuries. Texas
Coach, 1987: 28-9.
11. Rovere GD, Haupt HA, Yates CS. Prophylactic knee bracing in college football. Am
J Sports Med, 1987; 15(2): 111-6.
12. Teitz CC, Hermanson BK, Kronmal RA, Diehr PH. Evaluation of the use of braces
to prevent injury to the knee in collegiate football players. The Journal of Bone
and Joint Surgery, 1987; 69-A(1): 2-9.
13. Hewson GF, Mendini RA, Wang JB. Prophylactic knee bracing in college football.
Am J Sports Med, 1986; 14(4): 262-6.
14. Hansen BL, Ward JC, Diehl RCJ. The preventive use of the Anderson knee stabler
in football. The Physician and Sports Medicine, 1985; 13(9): 75-81.
15. Healthy People 2000:
National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives. US Department of
Health and Human Services, 1991.
16. Seals RR, Dorrough BC. Custom mouth protectors: a review of their applications.
J Prosthet Dent, 1984; 51(2): 238-42.
17. McNutt T, Shannon SW, Wright JT, Feinstein RA. Oral trauma in adolescent athletes:
a study of mouth protectors. Pediatric Dentistry, 1989; 11(3): 209-13.
18. Kaufman RS, Kaufman A. An experimental study on the effects of the MORA on football
players. Basal Facts, 1984; 6(4): 119-26.
19. Heinz, WD. Mouth protectors: a progress report. J Am Dent Assoc, 1968; 77: 632.
20. Garrick JG, Requa RK. Role of external support in the prevention of ankle sprains.
Med Sci Sports Exerc, 1977; 5: 200-203.
21. Rovere GD, Clarke TJ, Yates CS, Burley K. Retrospective comparison of taping and
ankle stabilizers in preventing ankle injuries. Am J Sports Med, 1988; 16(3): 228-33.
22. Fumich RM, Ellison AE, Guerin GJ, Grace PD. The measured effect of taping on combined
foot and ankle motion before and after exercise. Am J Sports Med, 1981; 9(3): 165-70.
23. Greene TA, Hillman SK. Comparison of support provided by a semirigid orthosis and
adhesive ankle taping before, during, and after exercise. Am J Sports Med, 1990;
24. Bixler B, Jones RL. High-school football injuries: effects of a post-halftime warm-up
and stretching routine. Fam Pract Res J, 1992; 12(2): 131-9.
25. Cahill BR, Griffith EH. Effect of preseason conditioning on the incidence and severity
of high school football knee injuries. Am J Sports Med, 1978; 6(4): 180-4.
26. Cahill BR, Griffith EH, Sunderlin J, Madden T, Weltman A. High school football
knee injuries. Illinois Medical Journal, 1984; 166(5): 356-8.
27. Heiser TM, Weber J, Sullivan G, Clare P, Jacobs RR. Prophylaxis and management
of hamstring muscle injuries in intercollegiate football players. Am J Sports Med,
1984; 12(5): 368-70.
28. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sliding-associated injuries in college
and professional baseball: 1990-1991. MMWR, 1993; 42(12): 223-230.
29. Janda DH, Hankin FM, Wojtys EM. Softball injuries: cost, cause and prevention.
Am Fam Physician, 1986; 33: 143-4.
30. Sendre RA, Keating TM, Hornak JE, Newitt PA. Use of the Hollywood Impact Base and
standard stationary base to reduce sliding and base-running injuries in baseball
and softball. Am J Sports Med, 1994; 22(4): 450-453.
31. Janda DH, Maguire R, Mackesy D, Hawkins RJ, Fowler P, Boyd J. Sliding injuries
in college and professional baseball: a prospective study comparing standard and
breakaway bases. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine (in press).
32. Janda DH, Wojtys EM, Hankin FM, Benedict ME. Softball sliding injuries: a prospective
study comparing standard and modified bases. JAMA, 1988; 259(12): 1848-1850.
33. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Softball sliding injuries: Michigan,
1986-87. MMWR, 1988; 37: 169-70.
34. Schieber RA, Branche-Dorsey CM, Ryan GW. Comparison of in-line skating injuries with
rollerskating and skateboarding injuries. JAMA, 1994; 271: 1856-8.
35. Schieber RA, Branche-Dorsey CM, Ryan GW, Rutherford GW, Jr. et al. Risk factors for
injuries from in-line skating and the effectiveness of safety gear. N Engl J Med,
1996; 335: 1630-1635.
36. International In-Line Skating Association. Guidelines for establishing in-line skate trails
in parks and recreational areas. Minneapolis: International In-Line Skating Association,
37. Heller DR, Routley V, Chambers S. Rollerblading injuries in young people. J Paediatr
Child Health, 1996; 32: 35-8.
38. Thompson RS, Rivara FP. Protective equipment for in-line skaters. N Engl J Med, 1996;
39. Bergman AB, Rivara FP, Richards DD, Rogers LW. The Seattle childrens bicycle
helmet campaign. Am J Dis Child, 1990; 144: 727-31.
40. Yeung EW, Yeung SS. Interventions for preventing lower limb soft-tissue injuries
in runners. The Cochrane Library, 2001; 3: 36.
41. Popovich RM,
Gardner JW, Knapik JJ, Jones BH. Effect of rest from running on overuse injuries
in army basic training. Am J Prev Med, 2000; 18 (3): 147-155.
42. Hreljac A, Marshall RN, Hume PA. Evaluation of lower extremity overuse injury in
runners. Med Sci Sports Med, 2000; 32 (9): 1635-1641.
43. Young CC, Seth A, Mark DH. In-line skating: use of protective equipment, falling
patterns, and injuries. Clin J Sports Med, 1998; 8 (2): 111-114.
44. Lewis LM, West OC, Standeven J, Jarvis HE. Do wrist guards protect against fractures?
Ann Emerg Med, 1997; 29 (6): 766-769.
45. Giacobetti FB,
Sharkey PF, Bos-Giacobetti MA, Hume EL, Tara JS. Biomechanical analysis of the effectiveness
of in-line skating wrist guards for preventing wrist fractures. Am J Sports Med,
1997; 25 (2): 223-225.
46. Sherker S, Cassell E. Preventing in-line skating injuries, how effective are the
countermeasures? Sports Med, 1999; 28 (5): 325-335.
47. Schieber RA,
Branche-Dorse CM, Ryan GW, Rutherford GW, Stevens JA, O'Neil J. Risk factors for
injuries from in-line skating and the effectiveness of safety gear. New England
J Med, 1996; 22: 1630-1635, supplement 1680-82.
48. Heiser TM, Weber J, Sullivan G, Clare P, Jacobs RR. Prophylaxis and management of
hamstring muscle injuries in intercollegiate football players. Am J Sports Med,
1984; 12 (5): 368-370.
49. Porter CD. Football injuries. Phys Med Rehab Clin N Am, 1999; 10 (1): 95-115.
50. Mueller F, Zemper ED, Peters A. American Football. Epidemiology of Sports Injuries,
1996; Human Kinetics Publishers: 41-59.
51. Upton PAH, Noakes TD, Juritz JM. Thermal pants may reduce the risk of recurrent
hamstring injuries in rugby players. Br J Sports Med, 1996; 30 (1): 57-60.
52. Bahr R, Lian B, Bahr IA. A twofold reduction in the incidence of acute ankle sprains
in volleyball after the introduction of an injury prevention program: a prospective
cohort study. Scand J Med Sci Sports, 1997; 7: 172-177.
53. Bahr R, Bahr IA. Incidence of acute volleyball injuries: a prospective cohort
study of injury mechanisms and risk factors. Scand J Med Sci Sports, 1997; 7: 166-171.
54. Wedderkopp N,
Kaltoft M, Lundgaard B, Rodendahl M, Froberg K. Prevention of injuries in young
female players in European team handball. A prospective intervention study. Scand
J Med Sci Sports, 1999; 9: 41-47.
55. Webster DA, Bayliss GV, Spadaro JA. Head and face injuries in scholastic women's
lacrosse with and without eyewear. Med & Sci in Sports & Excercise, 1999;
31 (7): 938-941.
56. Whitlock MR.
Injuries to riders in cross country phase of eventing: the importance of protective
equipment. Br J Sport Med, 1999; 33 (3): 212-214.
57. Viano D, Bir CA, Cheney AK, Janda DH. Prevention of commotio cordis in baseball:
an evaluation of chest protectors. J Trauma Injury, Infection, and Critical Care,
2000; 49 (6): 1023-1028.
58. Committee on Sports Medicine
and Fitness . Risk of Injury from baseball and softball. Pediatrics, 2001; 107 (4): 782-784.
59. Daly RM, Bass SL, Finch CF. Balancing the risk of injury to gymnasts: how effective
are the counter measures. Br J Sports Med, 2001; 35 (1): 8-19.
60. Barrett JR, Tanji JL,Drake C, Fuller D, Kawasaki RI, Fenton RM. High versus low
top shoes for the prevention of ankle sprains in basketball players. Am J Sports
Med, 1993; 21 (4): 582-585.
61. Sharpe SR, Knapik J, Jones B. Ankle braces effectively reduce recurrence of ankle
sprains in female soccer players. J of Athletic Training, 1997; 32 (1): 21-24.
62. Bot SD, van Mechelen W. The effect of ankle bracing on athletic performance.
Sports Med, 1999; 27 (3): 171-178.
63. Handoll HHG, Rowe BH, Quin KM, de Bie R. Interventions for preventing ankle ligament
injuries. The Cochrane Library, 2001; (3).
64. de Loes M, Dahlstedt LJ, Thomee R. A 7-year study on risks and costs of knee injuries
in male and female youth participants in 12 sports. Scand J Med Sci Sports, 2000;
65. Shrier I. Stretching before exercise does not reduce the risk of local muscle injury:
a critical review of the clinical and basic science literature. Clin J Sports Med,
1999; 9 (4): 221-227.
66. Pope RP, Herbert RD, Kirwan JD, Graham BJ. A randomized trial of pre-excercise
stretching for prevention of lower limb injury. Med Sci Sports Excerc, 2000; 32
67. Cross KM, Worrell TW. Effects of a static stretching program on the incidence
of lower extremity musculotendinous strains. J Athletic Training, 1999; 34 (1):
68. Van Mechelen
W, Hlobil H, Kemper HC, Voom W, de Jongh R. Prevention of running injuries by warm-up,
cool-down, and strecthing exercises. Am J of Sports Medicine, 1993; 21 (5): 711-719.
69. Shrier I. Stretching before exercise: an evidence based aproach. Clin J Sports
Medicine, 2000; 34 (5): 324-5.