Ali Rowhani-Rahbar, M.D., Ph.D., MPH
To generate and disseminate new knowledge pertaining to prevention and treatment of violent injury.
Among other things, HIPRC researches and performs community outreach surrounding safe usage and storage of firearms. We do not have a position on or advocate policies surrounding gun ownership.
Did you know?
- On average, 89 Americans are killed with guns every day.
- Seven of those are children.
- An additional 208 people are shot and survive.
- 62% of firearms deaths are suicide.
- American children are 14 times as likely to die from guns as children in other developed countries
- 1.7 million children live in a home with an unlocked gun.
- Firearm-Related Injury and Death in the United States: A Call to Action From 8 Health Professional Organizations and the American Bar Association
- Reducing Firearm-Related Harms: Time for Us to Study and Speak Out
- Harvard Injury Control Research Center – Firearms Research
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health – Center for Gun Policy and Research
- UC Davis Violence Prevention Research Program
- The Trace – News organization covering gun issues in US.
- Cure Violence – Evidence-based violence prevention
- Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
Recent Publications: Violence Prevention
|Title||Authors||Publication Date||Primary Topic||Secondary Topic|
|Review of the book Confronting Gun Violence in America by Thomas Gabor.||Rowhani-Rahbar A.||1/6/2017||Violence Prevention|
|The Road Ahead for Personalized Firearms.||Simonetti JA, Rowhani-Rahbar A, Rivara FP.||1/1/2017||Violence Prevention|
|A Consensus-Driven Agenda for Emergency Medicine Firearm Injury Prevention Research.||Ranney ML, Fletcher J, Alter H, Barsotti C, Bebarta VS, Betz ME, Carter PM, Cerdá M, Cunningham RM, Crane P, Fahimi J, Miller MJ, Rowhani-Rahbar A, Vogel JA, Wintemute GJ, Shah MN, Waseem M; ACEP Technical Advisory Group on Firearm Injury Research, a Subcommittee of the ACEP Research Committee..||12/17/2016||Violence Prevention|
|A Geospatial Analysis of Severe Firearm Injuries Compared to Other Injury Mechanisms: Event Characteristics, Location, Timing and Outcomes.||Newgard CD, Sanchez BJ, Bulger EM, Brasel KJ, Byers A, Buick JE, Sheehan KL, Guyette FX, King RV, Mena-Munoz J, Minei JP, Schmicker RH; ROC Investigators||12/1/2016||Violence Prevention|
|The Association Between Neighborhood Environment and Mortality: Results from a National Study of Veterans.||Nelson K, Schwartz G, Hernandez S, Simonetti J, Curtis I, Fihn SD.||11/4/2016||Violence Prevention|
|Violence Perpetration Among Patients Hospitalized for Unintentional and Assault-Related Firearm Injury: A Case-Control Study and a Cohort Study.||Rowhani-Rahbar A, Fan MD, Simonetti JA, Lyons VH, Wang J, Zatzick D, Rivara FP.||10/18/2016||Violence Prevention|
|Unsafe and understudied: the US gun problem.||Winker MA, Abbasi K, Rivara FP.||2/10/2016||Violence Prevention|
|PTSD, cyberbullying and peer violence: prevalence and correlates among adolescent emergency department patients||Ranney ML, Patena JV, Nugent N, Spirito A, Boyer E, Zatzick D, Cunningham R.||12/18/2015||Violence Prevention||Injury Care|
|Misclassification and identification of emotional facial expressions in depressed youth: A preliminary study||Jenness JL, Hankin BL, Young JF, Gibb BE||7/1/2015||Violence Prevention|
|Firearm-related hospitalization and risk for subsequent violent injury, death, or crime perpetration: A cohort study||Rowhani-Rahbar A, Zatzick D, Wang J, Mills BM, Simonetti JA, Fan MD, Rivara FP||2/1/2015||Violence Prevention|
|Psychiatric comorbidity, suicidality, and in-home firearm access among a nationally representative sample of adolescents||Simonetti JA, Mackelprang JL, Rowhani-Rahbar A, Zatzick D, Rivara FP.||2/1/2015||Violence Prevention|
|Nonmedical prescription stimulant use among youth in the emergency department: Prevalence, severity and correlates||Whiteside LK, Cunningham RM, Bonar EE, Blow F, Ehrlich P, Walton MA||1/1/2015||Violence Prevention|
|Novel risk factors associated with current suicidal ideation and lifetime suicide attempt in individuals with spinal cord injury||McCullumsmith CB, Kalpazian C, Richards JS, Forchheimer M, Heinemann A, Richardson E, Wilson C, Barber J, Temkin N, Fann JR, Bombardier CH||1/1/2015||Violence Prevention|