Did you know?
- On average, 89 Americans are killed with guns every day.
- Seven of those are children.
- An additional 208 people are shot and survive.
- 62% of firearms deaths are suicide.
- American children are 14 times as likely to die from guns as children in other developed countries
- 1.7 million children live in a home with an unlocked gun.
Recommended Reading and Resources
- Firearm-Related Injury and Death in the United States: A Call to Action From 8 Health Professional Organizations and the American Bar Association
- Reducing Firearm-Related Harms: Time for Us to Study and Speak Out
- Harvard Injury Control Research Center – Firearms Research
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health – Center for Gun Policy and Research
- UC Davis Violence Prevention Research Program
- The Trace – News organization covering gun issues in US.
- Cure Violence – Evidence-based violence prevention
- Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
|Authors||Title||Journal||Date||Primary Topic||Secondary Topic|
|Sanchez BJ, Bulger EM, Brasel KJ, Byers A, Buick JE, Sheehan KL, Guyette FX, King RV, Mena-Munoz J, Minei JP, Schmicker RH; ROC Investigators||A Geospatial Analysis of Severe Firearm Injuries Compared to Other Injury Mechanisms: Event Characteristics, Location, Timing and Outcomes.||Academic Emergency Medicine||February 2016||Violence Prevention|
|Nandate K, Krishnamoorthy V, McIntyre LK, Verrier ED, Mackensen GB||Gunshot-Induced Aorto-Left Atrial Fistula Diagnosed by Intraoperative Transesophageal Echocardiography.||Annals Thoracic Surgery||February 2016||Violence Prevention||Injury Care|
|Winker MA, Abbasi K, Rivara FP.||Unsafe and understudied: the US gun problem.||BMJ||February 2016||Violence Prevention|