Annually, the Friday before the official University-wide commencement ceremony, the History Department holds its own convocation ceremony.
The 2011-12 ceremony will be held on June 8 from 3:00-4:30 in Kane 130.
There will be a reception immediately following the ceremony on the Quad in front of Smith Hall.
Each May, graduating seniors will receive invitations with additional details.
Students are encouraged to attend one or both of these ceremonies. The History Department Convocation is less formal, more personal, and much smaller.
Participation in the History Department Convocation is by invitation only and requires that graduating seniors RSVP to History Undergraduate Advising. Tickets are not required in order to attend this event; with your response, please indicate the number of guests attending Convocation.
Attire is business casual. Neither caps nor gowns are worn at the department's convocation.
Registration & Late Seating
The ceremony will begin promptly at 3:00pm. All graduates must be present and seated by 2:45. Graduates arriving after this time will be seated on a space available basis.
For on-campus parking during this event, please purchase a parking permit in advance through the Commencement web site.
6 Things You Need to Know about Commencement and Convocation:
- The University-wide Commencement ceremony is held in Husky Stadium on the Saturday following Spring quarter finals week. Formal academic regalia is worn at this event.
- The History Department Convocation ceremony is held on the Friday preceding Commencement, the last day of Spring quarter finals week. Business casual attire is worn at this event.
- You may participate in one or both ceremonies. Participation is not required for graduation. Conversely, participation in either of these ceremonies does not guarantee graduation.
- Students graduating in December, March, or June, or who have applied to graduate in August before the second Friday of Spring quarter, are eligible to participate in these events.
- Your diploma will be mailed to your permanent address (as it is listed in MyUW) approximately four months after you graduate.
- Graduating seniors will receive additional information and an invitation to the Department Convocation in the middle of Spring quarter.