The History Fellows Program is a professionalization and internship program for undergraduate students interested in non-academic careers. In close collaboration with the University of Washington’s Career Center, the program offers career workshops that teach how to write strong résumés, enhance interview skills, and build networks through personal meetings and social media. The program provides fellows with internships in local businesses and organizations, exposing students to the dynamics and demands of fields that interest them. Fellows will emerge more confident in themselves and more prepared for the challenges that await them in their career endeavors.
The History Fellows program boosts the employability and marketability of History majors by enabling them to use the qualities and skills they have developed through studying history and apply these talents in professional settings. The History Fellows program and the Department of History are actively laying the groundwork for successful and fulfilling careers for all of their students.
Now entering its third year, the program runs for three quarters, during fall, winter and spring. Students will register for HIST 495B (CR/NC) for two credits each quarter. During the course of the program, History Fellows will complete the following:
- Fall Quarter
- Participate in Department of History and Career Center seminars and workshops (topics include writing effective résumés and cover letters and strategies for successful interviewing).
- Attend two career fairs at the University of Washington, Seattle campus or other location.
- Winter Quarter
- Intern with a UW history alumnus, Seattle-based firm, or organization.
- Explore professional networking and job/internship opportunities.
- Spring Quarter
- Conduct informational interviews.
- Plan, coordinate and implement a networking event with department staff.
- Write a short essay at the completion of the program, reflecting on professional growth, skills learned, networks developed, and critical experiences.
- Open to all History majors and class levels at the University of Washington, Seattle. Priority will be given to junior and senior students.
- Applicants must be dedicated, motivated, creative, and culturally aware.
How to Apply
Applications consist of a short personal statement, unofficial UW transcript, and résumé or CV. The application for the 2015-2016 History Fellows Program is now available for current History majors on Catalyst. Please click here to access the application before the deadline of September 25, 2015.
For more information, contact History Undergraduate Advising.