The History Fellows Program is a professionalization and internship program for undergraduate students interested in non-academic careers. In close collaboration with the University of Washington’s Career Center, the program offers career workshops that teach how to write strong résumés, enhance interview skills, and build networks through personal meetings and social media. The program provides fellows with internships in local businesses and organizations, exposing students to the dynamics and demands of fields that interest them. Fellows will emerge more confident in themselves and more prepared for the challenges that await them in their career endeavors.
The History Fellows program boosts the employability and marketability of History majors by enabling them to use the qualities and skills they have developed through studying history and apply these talents in professional settings. The History Fellows program and the Department of History are actively laying the groundwork for successful and fulfilling careers for all of their students.
For its inaugural year, the program runs for two quarters, during winter and spring. Students will register for HIST 495B (CR/NC) for two credits in the winter quarter and three credits in the spring quarter. During the course of the program, History Fellows will complete the following:
- Winter Quarter
- Participate in Department of History and Career Center seminars and workshops (topics include writing effective résumés and cover letters and strategies for successful interviewing).
- Attend two career fairs at the University of Washington, Seattle campus or other location.
- Spring Quarter
- Intern with a UW history alumnus, Seattle-based firm, or organization.
- Write a short essay at the completion of the program, reflecting on professional growth, skills learned, networks developed, and critical experiences.
- Open to all History majors and class levels at the University of Washington, Seattle. Priority will be given to junior and senior students.
- Applicants must be dedicated, motivated, creative, and culturally aware.
How to Apply
Applications consist of a short personal statement, unofficial UW transcript, and résumé or CV. Applications for the 2014-2015 History Fellows Program will open in spring quarter 2014. For 2014-15, the program will expand to help students start on professional development in the autumn quarter, allowing for longer internship options in winter and spring.
For more information, contact History Undergraduate Advising.