Elisabeth C. Miller Library logo Miller Library Home UW Botanic Gardens Home UW Botanic Gardens Home book graphic

3501 NE 41st Street, Seattle, WA 98195 | (206) 543 0415 | Open Monday 9-8 ; Tuesday - Friday 9-5; Saturday 9-3

Gardening Answers Knowledgebase

Search Results for ' Plant protection--Law and Regulations'

PAL Questions: 1 - Garden Tools: - Recommended Websites: 3

Display all answers | Hide all answers


Keywords: Plant protection--Law and Regulations, House plants

PAL Question:

I live in Seattle, but am going to Canada for an extended stay. Can I bring my houseplants across the border?

View Answer:

Generally, Canada allows houseplants from the mainland United States, but you may be asked to provide proof of origin at the border. The Canadian government page on guidelines for visitors and seasonal residents spells out the details. Here is an excerpt:
"Houseplants are defined as plants commonly known and recognized as such, which are grown or intended to be grown indoors. Bonsai plants are not considered to be houseplants. If you are importing houseplants from the continental United States as part of your baggage or household effects, you do not need phytosanitary certificates or import permits. For all other plants from the United States, you may require a phytosanitary certificate from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and an import permit from the CFIA."

Season All Season
Date 2010-01-13
Link to this record only (permalink)


Didn't find an answer to your question? Ask us directly!

Browse keywords or Search Again:

We are continually adding new questions, so be sure to keep coming back.

December 12 2014 11:33:49