Student & Research Tools
Research Help Links
- Librarian Consultation
- Citation: when, why, how?
- How do I? video tutorials - introduction to research skills from UW Libraries
- Citation & Writing - links to style guides, citation management tools and writing
Sign up for Leaflet for Scholars email
(Note: the Miller Library is not a branch of UW Libraries, although we share tools such as databases)
Best Subject Resource Lists
for research and very current information use these UW restricted databases to find citations. A list of peer reviewed journals at the Miller Library.
|(Available only at the Miller Library)|
Includes plant & environmental science peer-reviewed journals, green industry trade publications and popular gardening magazines.
Search mail order nursery catalogs, books and journals
From the National Agricultural Library
BioOne - Full texts of research journals focused on the biological, ecological, and environmental sciences.
BIOSIS PREVIEWS - Supplies comprehensive coverage of international life science journal and meeting literature.
Other Good Databases for Finding Articles (all UW Restricted):
Applied life sciences, including agriculture, forestry, and the environment.
- PAIS International Public policy and government studies.
- Water Resources Abstracts literature on water-related topics covering the characteristics, conservation, control, pollution, treatment, use, and management of water resources, including wetlands.
- Environmental Sciences Collection Provides citations and abstracts to the literature of the environmental sciences. The citations describe journal articles, conference proceedings, technical reports, monographs, and selected books and patents.
- UW Libraries Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
Getting the articles:
Full text? Click the link in the citation.
Not full text? Note the full citation, then search for the TITLE of the Journal:
>>At the Miller Library? Search for journal titles (not individual articles) in our catalog (check the periodicals box to limit search to only journals)
>>Still can't find it? Make a request through UW Libraries Inter-Library Loan (fast & free for UW students)
List of PEER-REVIEWED journals at the Miller Library
Save time by spending an hour with a librarian! Make an appointment for a one-on-one consultation to learn about research strategies and getting full text articles for free. Email: Tracy Mehlin or call 616-9481.
When writing an academic paper all sources of information must be cited. This means all facts, figures, ideas, methods and analysis that were previously published in text, video, audio or graphic formats. It doesn't matter if the information is used verbatim or not. If the information is not original then the source(s) must be cited. Detailed examples of citation from Yale.
Citation gives papers credibility and authority. A paper which does not cite sources may be considered plagiarized, and plagiarism is grounds for sanctions. Give credit when credit is due. More reasons to cite from Plagiarism.org.
There are many tools and methods for managing citations & sources. When writing a rough draft, add in the citations as brief notes. Then go back and formalize all the citations at once. The CSE (Council of Science Editors) Style Manual is appropriate for Restoration Ecology Environmental Horticulture papers.
- UW Libraries CSE Style summary.
- WSU Libraries CSE Style with 3 sub-styles.
- Miller Library print copy of CSE Style Manual Q223 .C68 2006.
Don't forget that images inserted in papers & posters need citations too!
Top Unrestricted (free) Websites
- Google Scholar
- Plants Database (USDA)
- Center for Invasive Plant Management
- Global Invasive Species Initiative
- National Invasives Species Information Center
- Invaders Database
- WSU Hortsense
- Conversion Tables, Formulas and Suggested Guidelines for Horticultural Use
- Native Plant Propagation Database
- Factsheets from NW Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides
- UW Map Library (with GIS lab)
- SelectTree Database
- REEH & other related degree theses
- Northwest Horticulture WebSites
- More recommended horticulture websites
Invasive Plants Multi-Site Search
At the Miller Library?
- Top databases are linked from our public computer desktops.
- MS Office programs available on public computers.
- Easy Printing (ask a staff member).
- Color copying for .50¢.
- Other collections include
- Nursery catalogs
- Clippings file
- Rare & antique books
- CDs and Videos
Regional Horticulture Programs