Student & Research Tools
- UW ESRM Program information
- Edmonds CC Hort. Dept Schedule
- South Seattle CC Hort. Dept.
- Lake Washington Tech Hort. Dept.
Video tutorials for students wanting an introduction to research skills from UW Libraries.
Herbaria, native plant societies, Northwest horticultural writers and general gardening sites.
(Note: the Miller Library is not a branch of UW Libraries, although we share tools such as databases)
For in-depth information
Lending Policy: Books with red spine labels may be borrowed by anyone; 3 books for 3 weeks. Registration required, please bring a photo ID.
A few Relevant Resource Lists
for research and very current information use these UW restricted databases to find citations.
|(Available only at the Miller Library)|
Includes plant & environmental science peer-reviewed journals, green industry trade publications and popular gardening magazines.
Search mail order nursery catalogs, books and journals
From the National Agricultural Library
BioOne - Full texts of research journals focused on the biological, ecological, and environmental sciences.
BIOSIS PREVIEWS - Supplies comprehensive coverage of international life science journal and meeting literature.
Other Good Databases for Finding Articles (all UW Restricted):
Applied life sciences, including agriculture, forestry, and the environment.
- PAIS International Public policy and government studies
- Water Resources Abstracts literature on water-related topics covering the characteristics, conservation, control, pollution, treatment, use, and management of water resources, including wetlands
- Environmental Sciences & Pollution Management Provides citations and abstracts to the literature of the environmental sciences. The citations describe journal articles, conference proceedings, technical reports, monographs, and selected books and patents
Getting the articles:
Full text? Click the link in the citation.
Not full text? Note the full citation, then search for the TITLE of the Journal:
>>At the Miller Library? Search for journal titles (not individual articles) in our catalog (check the periodicals box to limit search to only journals)
>Still can't find it? Make a request through UW Libraries Inter-Library Loan (free for UW students)
List of PEER-REVIEWED journals at the Miller Library
Top Unrestricted (free) Websites
- Google Scholar
- Plants Database (USDA)
- Center for Invasive Plant Management
- Global Invasive Species Initiative
- National Invasives Species Information Center
- Invaders Database
- WSU Hortsense
- Conversion Tables, Formulas and Suggested Guidelines for Horticultural Use
- Native Plant Propagation Database
- Factsheets from NW Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides
- UW Map Library (with GIS lab)
- SelectTree Database
- More recommended horticulture websites
Invasive Plants Multi-Site Search
At the Miller Library?
- Top databases are linked from our public computer desktops.
- MS Office programs available on public computers.
- Easy Printing (ask a staff member).
- Color copying for .50¢.
- Other collections include
- Nursery catalogs
- Clippings file
- Rare & antique books
- CDs and Videos
Friday, 05-Oct-2012 10:24:35 PDT