Photo ID Policies
Health Sciences | Non-Health
Sciences | How to Display
Health Sciences Personnel
All persons are required to wear a photo identification (ID) badge within Health Sciences under any of the
- After hours, i.e., weekdays before 6am and after 7pm and all day on weekends and holidays.
- At all times in patient care areas.
- At all times in animal quarters or animal laboratories.
- At all times in high security laboratories where sensitive research, hazardous chemicals, radioactive materials
or select agents are present.
It is the responsibility of departments to obtain photo IDs for their personnel in a timely manner.
[top of page]
Non-Health Sciences Personnel
- Affiliated groups may use their existing photo IDs. If they are in the building after hours, they must
have a Health Sciences access card.
- UWMC - University of Washington Medical Center
- HMC - Harborview Medical Center
- CHRMC - Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center
- VAMC - Veteran's Administration Medical Center
- FHCRC - Fred Hutchinson Cancer and Research Center
- SCCA - Seattle Cancer Care Alliance
- UW Facilities Services
- UW Computing and Communications
- Individuals attending events/conferences after hours, weekends, and holidays are not required to wear photo
IDs while they are in transit to/from the class/event.
- Non-Health Sciences students
- Instructors teaching courses
- Persons traveling to and from the Health Sciences Library are not required to wear a photo ID.
- Any other visitor must be accompanied at all times by someone with a valid Health Sciences photo identification.
[top of page]
A photo ID must be worn above the waist, with the photo visible to other persons at all times. The use of
name tags without a photo, in lieu of the photo identification, is not permitted.
Photo identification badges must not be altered or defaced in any manner. Do not affix stickers or tags to
the photo identification badges. Damaged or altered badges must be replaced, and will be charged the $12 replacement
Color Coding - Personnel Function
Photo IDs are color coded to designate personnel function as follows:
- Yellow: Faculty, staff, student employee
- Purple: Student
- Blue: Direct patient care
- Green: Essential personnel (determined by department)
- Red: Non-UW (i.e., contractors, consultants, vendors, volunteer)
Access Card Number
- A photo ID will have the access card number printed in the thin, horizontal orange stripe on the lower half
of the photo ID.
- If the individual does not have an access card, "No Access Card" is printed in this orange bar.
- Persons found with cards with conflicting numbers will have their badges confiscated and be escorted from
the building by Health Sciences Security.
[top of page]