Health Sciences Laboratory Services:
Biohazardous/Regulated Waste Vendor Collection Set Up

Read EH&S guidelines on: Identifying Biohazardous Waste including Sharps Waste.

Are You Generating Waste?

If you are generating biohazardous waste you may also need a Biological Use Authorization.
If your study involves biohazards, your work must be reviewed and approved by the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) and/or Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) Research and Occupational Safety (ROS). This must be done before setting up an account for collection, treatment, and disposal of your waste by the UW biohazardous waste contractor (#3 below).

Options for Treating and Disposing of Biohazardous Waste

Laboratory personnel are responsible for developing protocols for identifying, segregating, decontaminating, and properly packaging and disposing of biohazardous waste. Biohazardous waste (except sharps containers) must be autoclaved within 8 days from the first generation of the waste if stored at temperatures above 32°F (0°C). If stored at or below 32°F (0°C), the waste must be autoclaved within 90 days from the first generation of waste. Sharps containers must be autoclaved when 2/3 full.

There are three options for treating and disposing of biohazardous waste:

  1. Autoclave the waste yourself, following all protocols and regulations.
  2. Pay a cost center to treat and dispose your waste. In the Magnuson Health Sciences Center, labs can transport their waste to HS Laboratory Services (HSLS) in T-276, following all protocols and regulations.

  3. Contract with the UW biohazardous waste vendor tafter completing the Shipping Regulated Medical/Biohazardous Waste by Contracted Carrier training offered by EH&S.
    • Set up an account for: collection, treatment, and disposal of your waste by a contracted vendor.

Additional Information

For building specific information, see the Environmental Health & Safety Biohazardous Waste page for information and the Biohazardous Waste Stream Flow Charts. If you have questions, contact EH&S Research & Occupational Safety at or 206-221-7770. If you have questions about these procedures