What to Consider
The advantages and disadvantages of the eMPH in comparison with residential education should be carefully considered before applying to the program. Advantages, particularly for mid-career professionals, are considerable.
- the highly integrated nature of the curriculum
- the focus on applied community management content
- the ability to pursue professional education cooperatively alongside experienced colleagues
- the opportunity to immediately apply new knowledge and skills
- the ability to continue employment while pursuing a degree or certificate
Applicants also need to consider the demands on personal time and energy necessary when education is pursued concurrently with employment. The self-motivation and discipline required for successful independent, off-campus study, the possible disadvantages of relative isolation from peer support and direct ongoing faculty contact, and the lack of physical access to the extensive UW library resources.