EducationPhD University of Washington, 2003 (Health Services)
MHA University of Washington, 1983 (Health Administration)
Contact Infoemail: firstname.lastname@example.org
office: H-690E, Health Sciences Building
1959 NE Pacific St.
Seattle, WA 98195-7660
campus box: 357660
Amy Hagopian, MHA, PhD, served for many years as program director of the Community Oriented Public Health Practice program where she teaches a core health policy course. She also teaches a 4-credit MPH course, Public Health Planning, Advocacy and Leadership skills, a project-based public health skill-building course.
Hagopian's wide-ranging interests are unified by the idea that the maldistribution of power undermines health. She has dedicated much of her professional and personal life to opposing war and promoting peace. She’s also researched the migration of health workers from poor countries to rich ones, and works on homelessness and incarceration as health issues.
She co-teaches a course with Evan Kanter, MD, PhD, "War and Health." She led a team to estimate mortality associated with the 2003 invasion of Iraq and has conducted other research on the effects of war on health. She is active in the American Public Health Association's international health section and peace caucus, and is the 2018 recipient of the APHA's Vic Sidel and Barry Levy Peace Award. She serves on the editorial board of the American Journal of Public Health, and on the Nuclear Weapons Task force of the Washington Physicians for Social Responsibility.
Comfort H, Lafta RK, Flaxman AD, Hagopian A, Duber HC. Association Between Subnational Vaccine Coverage, Migration, and Incident Cases of Measles, Mumps, and Rubella in Iraq, 2001-2016. Front Public Health. 2022 Jan 20;9:689458. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2021.689458. eCollection 2021. PMID: 35127606 PMCID: PMC8810510
Jensen GW, Lafta R, Burnham G, Hagopian A, Simon N, Flaxman AD. Conflict-related intentional injuries in Baghdad, Iraq, 2003-2014: A modeling study and proposed method for calculating burden of injury in conflict. PLoS Med. 2021 Aug 5;18(8):e1003673. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1003673. eCollection 2021 Aug. PMID: 34351908 PMCID: PMC8376016
Babayan M, Futrell M, Stover B, Hagopian A. Advocates Make a Difference in Duration of Homelessness and Quality of Life. Soc Work Public Health. 2021 Apr 3;36(3):354-366. doi: 10.1080/19371918.2021.1897055. Epub 2021 Mar 15. PMID: 33722166
Tankwanchi AS, Hagopian A, Vermund SH. African Physician Migration to High-Income Nations: Diverse Motives to Emigrate ("We Are not Florence Nightingale") or Stay in Africa ("There Is No Place Like Home") Comment on "Doctor Retention: A Cross-sectional Study of How Ireland Has Been Losing the Battle". Int J Health Policy Manag. 2021 Oct 1;10(10):660-663. doi: 10.34172/ijhpm.2020.219. PMID: 33160297
Senior Health Workforce Planning & Policy Advisor
Department of Global Health
Education and Curriculum Office, Chair of the International Health Program curriculum committee.
- Jackson School holds symposium on the future of nuclear policy
- Close Up: Amy Hagopian
- Hagopian to receive prestigious peace award from the APHA
- Shaping the future of research and action on war and health
- Brain Gain: Foreign doctors are a vital part of the U.S. health care system, but at what cost?
- 'Learning by Doing' Key Tenet of SPH program
- Human cost of Iran-Iraq War and First Gulf War
- Labor unions are boons for community health, study finds
- What UW is doing to fight Zika
- Labor unions offer opportunity for public health innovation
- Why some UW professors want a union, and others resist one
- UW faculty wants to unionize, administration not in favor
- Why some UW faculty want to unionize
- Are journalists lowballing the number of Iraqi war dead?
- Students, Professor Draft APHA Resolution on Veterans' Mental Health Services
- Opportunities Lost -- Could Ebola Have Been Better Contained?
- Public Health and the Prevention of War
- NORAD's Santa Tracker Draws Criticism with Fighter Jet Escort
- New Study Looks into Deaths Caused by Iraq War
- Study Estimates Nearly 500,000 Iraqis Died in War