MPH SBS Thesis Award Nominations
The MPH Program in Health Services is pleased to announce a one-time award, the 2015 Distinguished SBS Master’s Thesis Award competition. This award recognizes outstanding and exceptional research and writing produced by a UW Health Service’s master’s student in the Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS) Concentration. The winner will receive $350 and will be publicly recognized by the Program.
Nominations are due to the MPH Student Services Counselor by 5 p.m., April 25, 2015.
- Nominees must earn the MPH SBS degree in Health Services between September 24, 2014 and June 30, 2015.
- The scholarly product eligible for this competition is a formal written thesis.
- The following materials must be submitted electronically and combined into a single document*, in MS Word or PDF format (no hard copy submissions will be accepted), in this order:
- Cover letter/letter of recommendation from the student’s thesis advisor.
- Summary prepared by the student (1,000-1,500 words) prepared in nontechnical language describing the research and its significance for a general academic audience of non-specialists.
- The full text of the student nominee's formal written thesis.
- The student nominee's University of Washington transcript.
- Please save your file in this format: "Lastnamenominee_firstnamenominee_THESIS_2015.pdf"
- Nominations are due to the MPH Program Coordinator at 5 p.m., April 25, 2015, via email to email@example.com.
This is the firm deadline; in fairness to all, no exceptions or extensions will be granted.
An MPH SBS awards committee will select the award recipient, based on five criteria:
- Research Quality – appropriate and rigorous; detailed and replicable; ethical
- Writing Quality – clear and readable; structured appropriately
- Diversity – working with underserved populations; culturally competent
- Innovation – creative; innovative
- Significance to Current Practice or Policy – important; relevant; publishable
QUESTIONS MAY BE DIRECTED TO:
Student Services Counselor, MPH Program
*Please note that excerpts from the submission packages may be placed online.