Skip to main content
MPH Program in Health Services

Admission: Tuition and Funding


Current tuition rates for the Health Services MPH program are posted on the School of Public Health (SPH) website, here. Students in the MPH Program in Health Services typically enroll 3 quarters per year.

Funding Your Education

Understanding the challenges that funding your education presents, we provide these resources to help make your program as affordable as possible. Our students are typically supported by a combination of research assistantships (RAs), teaching assistantships (TAs), as well as fellowships, student loans, and outside employment. To identify the best sources of financial support, we encourage you to review each funding source below.


Research assistant (RA) positions and teaching assistant (TA) positions provide funding for a significant number of both new and continuing students. RAs are appointed by individual faculty members with available funding. Teaching assistantships (TAs) are appointed for specific courses by course instructors. Both RAs and TAs are paid directly through the UW. Although many positions are matched to second-year master's and doctoral students, all interested students are welcome to apply. You must be a full-time student to be eligible.

See current RA and TA positions in the Department of Health Systems and Population Health here, and in the School of Public Health here. For more information, visit the UW Graduate School Assistantships page.

Fellowships and Scholarships

In terms of fellowships or scholarships, the School of Public Health offers up to six $10,000 Master's Fellowship Awards, and the MPH Program in Health Services offers one $5,000 HSEED award per year.

There is funding for student projects from the Northwest Public Health Training Center.

The UW Office of Fellowships and Awards supports UW students in finding and applying for fellowships. A full range of fellowship opportunities are available on their website and staff are eager to talk with you to determine which programs best meet your professional and personal goals. The School of Public Health job listings also include some fellowship opportunities.

Diversity Funding

The Department of Health Systems and Population Health is committed to increasing the number of health professionals from diverse communities in the field of public health.

In addition the the HSEED Award mentioned above, there are a variety of financial resources and opportunities, including fellowships, awards, and assistantships, at UW to support graduate scholars from diverse backgrounds. Some places to start include:

Please contact us for more information about funding for students from diverse backgrounds.

For social, academic, and community resources beyond financial support, see our Department's Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion page.

Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA)

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used by the University of Washington in making its financial aid awards to students who are United States citizens or permanent residents of the United States. Most typically, our graduate students qualify for educational loans or for work-study. A few academically outstanding and financially needy under-represented students may also qualify for other forms of aid, such as partial tuition waivers. For priority consideration, applicants should submit the FAFSA before January 15. The FAFSA becomes available October 1.

Applicants can complete the FAFSA electronically. The address is:

Research assistant positions and teaching assistant positions do not typically require financial need as established by submitting the FAFSA.

Please refer to the Department of Health Systems and Population Health Financial Aid Information for more information.

Applicants may also wish to contact the Office of Student Financial Aid.

Additional Resources

International Applicants and Financial Aid

Regrettably, we cannot guarantee financial support for international students, and thus international students should be prepared to cover their educational costs.

You may learn about tuition to the MPH program on the School of Public Health tuition page, and the UW provides an estimate for the costs of room and board, books and supplies, local transportation and personal expenses on this page.

The University has a financial ability requirement which requires all international students to show "proof of readily accessible and adequate funding to cover living expenses, tuition and other campus fees for the first year of study."

You can learn about financial aid and other funding for international students on the Graduate Student Funding Resources page, and you may want to check out the UW International Student Services money matters and funding information page. This page has a list of scholarships for international students studying in the US.

Our MPH Program focuses mainly on population health and healthcare in the United States, and thus many international applicants and those with global health interests may wish to consider other MPH Programs within our School, such as the ones in Epidemiology or in Global Health.

The UW Graduate School also offers a list of FAQs for prospective international students online.