We collaborate with company
partners on some of our federally
funded research projects (e.g., Natl.
Inst. Health, Dept. of Defense
grants), as well as on independent
projects initiated by the companies.
All of our corporate partners
contribute intellectually to the
research. As progress is made, we
provide to them detailed reports and
plans for future research.
Often, the technologies we develop have application in other
fields outside of prosthetics. We aggresively pursue pilot projects
with clinicians in a variety of disciplines to advance those efforts.
We seek companies with sufficient capital to fund the research
and bring those potential products to market. In exchange,
companies receive a royalty-free license.
Companies sometimes seek expertise on projects they are conducting in house, and want
to benefit from our many years of research experience. When maintaining corporate
ownership of intellectual property is important, companies set up a consulting
arrangement with Dr. Sanders through her outside firm, Nicholass LLC. Contact Dr.
Sanders at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We operate a cost center in our lab (non-profit) to provide testing services for companies.
Currently available test facilities are listed below:
Please contact Dr. Lisa Norton at
the University of Washington
Center for Commercialization
(email@example.com, 206-616-6918) to
discuss licensing our technologies.
A list of issued and pending
patents (with links to the
publications) is provided below.
Patents can also be viewed at the
US Patent and Trademark Office
• Baker AB and Sanders JE. Structures having coated indentations. Patent 6,558,422 issued May 6, 2003
• Sanders JE. Structures and methods for promoting vascularization. Patent 6,638,520 issued October
• Sanders JE and Neumann T. Bioengineered tissue substitutes. Patent 7,622,299 issued November 24,
• Sanders JE. Medical devices comprising small fiber biomaterials, and methods for use. Patent
7,947,069 issued May 24, 2011
• Mitchell SB and Sanders JE. Method and apparatus for controlled electrospinning. Patent 7,981,353
issued July 19, 2011
• Sanders JE, Severance MR, Myers TR, Turkiyyah G, Sorenson EA, and Lee EL. Computer aided design
and manufacturing of trans-tibial prosthetic sockets. Patent application 12/507,560 filed July 24, 2008
• Sanders JE, Myers TR, Harrison DS, Allyn KJ, Lee EL, Abrahamson DC, Beach KW, Zachariah SG.
Measurement and use of in-socket residual limb volume change data for prosthetic fitting. Patent
application 12/509,934 filed July 27, 2008
• Sanders JE, Sorenson EA, Levine JH, Fergason JR, Lee GS, Zachariah SG, Wang Y-N, Yager P. Assessment
of tissue response to stress. Patent application 12/510,115 filed July 27, 2008
• Sanders J, Myers T, Hafner B. Prosthetic limb monitoring system. Patent application filed 12/694,409
filed January 27, 2009
Issued and pending patents