- Download application checklist (Word)
- Complete the online application. When you are ready to apply please go to: https://www.grad.washington.edu/applForAdmiss/
- Fill in the Resume section in the online application. Include educational degrees and professional experiences as well as all relevant awards, publications, presentations or other achievements. It is preferred that you separate out your leadership experiences (team leader, department chair, learning community facilitator) from your classroom experiences. We encourage you to use our resume template.
- Complete the Goal Statement and upload to the College of Ed online application. The statement should be 4 -7 pages, double-spaced, explaining (1) your philosophy of education, (2) qualities or characteristics of exemplary leaders, (3) how you demonstrate or embody these qualities or characteristics in your professional experience, (4) why you are applying to the Danforth Program and want to be an educational leader in the 21st century, and (5) how you will arrange half-time release for the internship.
- Submit Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores - general exam only; no recency requirement (http://www.gre.org). If you have a copy of your scores, mail them to our office for inclusion with your application. If you need to take the test, instruct the testing facility to send your scores to the UW College of Education. Scores should be received prior to February 1.
- Submit one (1) set of unofficial transcripts from ALL degree-granting institutions and any institution where you have received graded credits. NOTE: if admitted, you will be required to submit a set of official transcripts to the Graduate School.
- Submit three (3) Danforth Program professional reference forms completed by (1) your principal, (2) a teacher the principal chooses, and (3) a teacher of your choice. Download reference forms (Word). If you are not teaching currently, choose a supervisor who can tell us about your work.
Students seeking a Master's Degree must submit three (3) letters of recommendation in addition to the professional reference forms. (Please see below for complete Master's requirements.)
- Submit a copy of your valid (current) Teaching or Educational Staff Associates (ESA) certificate. If your certificate has expired, you will be required to submit your renewed certificate before applying for the Residency Principal certificate. This may be uploaded into the "Other" section of the online application, or mailed to the Danforth Program office.
Combination of a Master’s Degree in Education (M.Ed.) and the Danforth Program
The M.Ed. degree program for students seeking Initial Principal or Initial Program Administrator certification is specifically designed to include the 36-credit Danforth Program as the major part of a Master’s program.
In addition to the items above, please provide the following:
- Three additional letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic and/or professional work. (For a total of 3 letters of recommendation and 3 reference forms). These can be the same 3 references.
- In your goal statement, include research and/or scholarly interests and state how the area of Educational Leadership & Policy Studies can help you achieve your goals.
- Sample of scholarly writing (e.g., course paper, article, essay) that demonstrates how well you can analyze and critically reflect on information. If you have no appropriate example of scholarly writing, please prepare a critical essay or review (10-12 pages, double-spaced) of a book that you feel is central to your interests in education. You are demonstrating analytical thinking, research and writing skills.