Before applying, please carefully read the Admissions Requirements in the program description.
- Download the L4L application checklist. (pdf)
- Online Graduate School Application. When you are ready to apply please go to: https://www.grad.washington.edu/applForAdmiss/ (Note: print a copy of the summary page after online submission. Sign & include this page with your printed application materials.)
- Resume or Curriculum Vita. Include your current academic and professional resume. Your resume should provide evidence of demonstrated leadership ability (projects, positions, accomplishments). In addition to educational degrees and professional experience, the vita should include a listing of all relevant awards, publications, presentations, or other achievements that will help us evaluate your application.
- Goal Statement. Admissions committees use the goal statement, along with other evidence, to determine whether applicants' needs and our programs are well-matched. Goal statements range from 3-5 pages for the Ed.D. You can compose your document in your word processor and upload it, or paste directly into the online form.
Note: The online application will prompt you to submit a "Personal History Statement." This is completley optional and not required for the L4L Program.
- A photocopy of your Teacher, ESA, Principal, or Program Administrator certificate will be required if you seek the Superintendent Certificate.
- Transcripts: One transcript from all degree granting institutions attended. Effective Autumn 2011, electronic transcripts are permissible and should be uploaded to the online application. NOTE: If you are admitted to the program, you will be required to submit a complete set of official (printed and sealed) transcripts to the Graduate School.
- Letters of Recommendation. The online application provides instructions for submitting letters of recommendation electronically. Three (3) letters are required from persons who are able to provide evidence of support for your leadership and academic abilities and your potential for success in a graduate degree program. If your recommender chooses not to submit his/her letter online, a recommendation form may be downloaded for their use. Printed letters should be sent to L4L Admissions.
- GRE scores (General Test). No recency requirement; your old scores may be on file if you were previously a student or applied to UW (contact Brieanne Hull for add’l information). To inquire about scores, call Educational Testing Service at 1-888-GRE SCORE; ETS generally does not retain scores for more than 5 years. For information about scheduling a test, please visit the GRE web site.
NEW: An exemption to the GRE may be possible for candidates who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- You already hold a completed doctorate degree
- You have completed two (2) Masters degrees
- You hold a Masters degree plus oficial scores from two other admissions tests (e.g., Miller's Analogy, GMAT, LSAT)
Please contact our office for additional information.
- Writing samples (2 or more). Submit one sample of scholarly writing (e.g., Master's thesis, course papers, articles, essays), and one work-related report or project. The samples should demonstrate how well you can analyze or synthesize and critically reflect on information. At least one writing sample must have been written by you alone. If you have no appropriate examples of scholarly writing, we urge you to consider preparing a medium-length (10-12 page) critical essay review of a book that you feel is central to your interests in education. You will be asked to do an on-site writing sample as part of your interview.
NOTE: Writing samples do NOT need to be uploaded to the online application. Please send printed copies of both samples along with your application packet. Note that only one sample can be uploaded to the online application.
- Printed copies of materials. Mail or deliver copies of all materials to the Leadership for Learning Office:
UW College of Education
Box 353600; Miller 313
Seattle, WA 98195-3600