Unlock the Power of Systems Leadership
to Impact Student Learning
Leadership for Learning (L4L) is a three year, cohort-based program designed for educators who lead in a range of school, policy, and related education settings. Students in the program engage in intellectually challenging and reflective study of a variety of issues facing education leaders today. Through an interdisciplinary, social justice-oriented curriculum, students develop both the practical skills and conceptual knowledge needed for effective systems leadership. Evidence of learning is organized in capstone portfolios that bridge doctoral-level scholarship with authentic problems of practice, inquiry-driven decision making, and innovative strategies for the ongoing improvement of teaching and learning.
Capstone Portfolios emphasize:
- Inquiry & reflective practice as a central, integral element of leadership
- Equity & excellence as the anchor for leadership practice
- Improvement of teaching & learning as the central focus of leadership practice
- Collaboration, principled decision-making and strategic action as a vehicle for learning-focused leadership
- Vision of system change in complex, demanding environments.
After successful completion of the program, students earn the UW Education Doctorate, and are qualified to apply for a Washington State Initial Superintendent Certificate or Program Administrator certificate.