|Dr. John-Stewart was trained as an internist and pediatrician prior to specializing in infectious diseases and receiving a Ph.D. in epidemiology. Her research is focused on international HIV-1 studies, primarily based in Kenya. These include studies of transmission, prevention, clinical epidemiology, clinical trials, and molecular epidemiology. Her interests include mother-to-child transmission of HIV-1, pediatric HIV-1, and co-infections (TB, helminths, CMV), HIV-1 acquisition and pathogenesis, and treatment and delivery of HIV-1 treatment and prevention services. She has published over 250 peer-reviewed manuscripts and mentored over 85 students/fellows. Dr. John-Stewart’s funding has included support from the NIH, CDC, Gates Foundation, EDCTP, and the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation. Dr. John-Stewart received the Elizabeth Glaser Scientist Award, a K24 Mentorship Award, and a UW School of Medicine mentorship award. She is currently the Director of the CFAR International Core and the UW Global Center for Integrated Health of Women, Adolescents, and Children (Global WACh).
- Hegarty T, McGrath C, Singa B, Kinuthia J, John-Stewart G, Pintye J. Postpartum depression and prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV in Kenya. JANAC 2019, in press.
- Wilson K, Mugo C, Moraa H, Onyango A, Nduati M, Inwani I, Bukusi D, Slyker J, Guthrie B, Richardson B, John-Stewart G, Wamalwa D, Kohler P. Health provider training is associated with improved engagement in HIV care among adolescents and young adults in Kenya. AIDS 2019, in press. PMID: 30932957
- Arndt M, Richardson B, Mahfuz M, Ahmed T, Haque R, Gazi M, John-Stewart G, Denno D, Scarlett J, Walson J. Fibroblast growth factor 21 predicts growth responses to nutritional supplementation among underweight children in Bangladesh. Curr Dev Nutr 2019, in press.
- LaCourse S, Wagner A, Cranmer L, Copeland A, Maleche-Obimbo E, Richardson B, Matemo D, Kinuthia J, John-Stewart G. High programmatic isoniazid preventive therapy (IPT) among HIV-infected women. JAIDS, in press.
- Sherr K, Asbjornsdottir K, Crocker J, Coutinho J, Cuembelo M, Tavede E, Manaca N, Ronen K, Murgurgo F, Barnabas R,John-Stewart G, Holte S, Pfeiffer J, Gimbel S. Scaling-up the systems analysis and improvement approach for prevention of mother-to-child HIV transmission in Mozambique (SAIA-SCALE): a stepped-wedge cluster randomized trial. Implementation Science 2019; 14 (1): 41. Doi:10.1186/213012-019-0889-z. PMID: 31029171