Waitress Union Local 240, first headquarters
Seattle Waitress’ Union, Local 240
1st Location: 520 2nd Avenue
2nd Location: 209 James Street
3rd Location: 1420 2nd Avenue
The Seattle Waitress’ Union, Local 240 was formed on March 23, 1900 by Alice Lord. This all white union was one of the first women’s unions to be chartered by the American Federation of Labor. Under the direction of Alice Lord, the Seattle Waitress’ Union is accredited with establishing the 8 hour work day and 6 hour work week for all female servers. The Seattle Waitress’ Union was also successful in their fight for a state sanctioned minimum wage. Photo courtesy Arkady DeRoest 520 2nd Ave.