Medical Technology / Medical Laboratory Science
Apply to Program
2013 Online Application
Open: August 1, 2012
Deadline: February 15, 2013
Go to: 2013 Online Application
View video: "Just the Job - A career as a Medical Laboratory Scientist"
Welcome to the Medical Technology (MT) Program at the University of Washington, in Seattle, Washington. The MT program is located in the Department of Laboratory Medicine in the School of Medicine. The Department of Laboratory Medicine at the University of Washington offers a BS in Medical Technology and MS degree programs in Laboratory Medicine. This site is devoted to specific information about our BS degree program.
Medical Technology (MT) is where basic laboratory science meets the practice of medicine. It is a profession of highly knowledgeable and skilled individuals who perform clinical laboratory tests on blood, other body fluids, or tissue samples. This is a critical part of health care, as the results obtained by these laboratory tests are a vital tool for physicians in their diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease.
People trained as medical technologists may work in a variety of settings. Many work in clinical laboratories in large medical centers, hospitals, and clinics. Others do research in industrial, public health, and medical laboratories; and teach in hospitals, colleges and universities. An MT may practice as a generalist, using knowledge in several of the scientific disciplines, or may specialize in one scientific area in larger hospitals. Successful MT's are individuals who enjoy studying the biological, chemical,and physical sciences, and who find personal satisfaction and intellectual reward in applying scientific methods in the diagnosis and evaluation of disease.
The mission of the Department of Laboratory Medicine Medical Technology Program at the University of Washington is to develop and maintain a superior educational program for future medical laboratory scientists. These well-trained scientists should be knowledgeable, highly skilled and ethical, prepared to practice as competent professionals and to contribute to the changing field of laboratory medicine.
The program goals of the University of Washington Medical Technology Program are to:
- Offer a sustainable curriculum that meets current and emergent educational and professional needs of program students.
- Identify and partner with affiliates in providing exceptional training opportunities for program students.
- Provide a learning experience rich in opportunities that maximize a student’s potential to attain entry-level medical laboratory scientist competencies.
- Graduate well qualified medical laboratory scientists prepared to meet the workforce needs of Washington State and the nation.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of the medical laboratory science pedagogy and growth of the profession.
Last updated: 08/20/12