Kara Hansen-Suchy, MEd, MT(ASCP)SH
Program Director, Medical Technology
University of Washington
Department of Laboratory Medicine, NW120
1959 Pacific St.
Seattle, WA 98195-7110
The career choice of Medical Laboratory Sciences has been very good to me and I feel fortunate to have had as many different yet related opportunities for jobs as well as personal growth. I have enjoyed all the jobs I have held in the past, but I am especially excited to be the Program Director for the Medical Technology program at the University of Washington and teaching college students wanting to pursue this rewarding career. It is my wish that my students find the medical laboratory science field as interesting and rewarding as I have. I have two beautiful children and one crazy dog, which bring me great joy.
Education and Training
- EdD, Education, Northcentral University, Pending (Dec 2014)
- MEd, Education, Weber State University, December 2005
- BS Medical Technology, Arizona State University, May 1979
- Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Emotional Intelligence
- Student success
- Study Abroad
- "Comparison of Registry Scores between an Online and On Campus Clinical Laboratory Sciences Degree Program," December 2007.
- "Development of an Online Orientation Class for an Online Degree Program: A Tool to Increase Student Success," December 2005.
- Hansen-Suchy K. Evaluating the effectiveness of an online medical laboratory technician program. Clin Lab Sci. 2011 Winter;24(1):35-40.
- Silvio R, Swapp KJ, La'ulu SL, Hansen-Suchy K, Roberts WL. Method specific second-trimester reference intervals for thyroid-stimulating hormone and free thyroxine. Clin Biochem. 2009 May;42(7-8):750-3. doi: 10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2008.12.004. Epub 2008 Dec 24.
Honors and Awards
- Putting Students Through Award (PST Program at WSU), Nominated by WSU Online Student: Ruth Yoder, Graduation Ceremony December 2007.
- Master Online Teacher Certificate (MOTC: 1st Cohort Group WSU Online), Dumke College of Health Professions, May 2007.
- Hansen-Suchy, K. "Evaluating the Effectiveness of an Online Medical Laboratory Sciences Program," American Society of Clinical Pathology, Las Vegas, NV, October 2011. Finalist: Best Scientific Poster Award Competition.
Last updated: 2/1/2013