Stephen Libby, PhD
Research Associate Professor
University of Washington
Department of Laboratory Medicine, HSB K-451
1959 Pacific St.
Seattle, WA 98195-7110
Education and Training
- Northern Illinois University, BS Biology, 1980
- Iowa State University, MS Zoology, 1983
- Iowa State University, PhD Zoology, 1987
- Post-doctoral Fellow, Laboratory of Dr. John Iandolo, Kansas State University, 1987-1988
- Post-doctoral Fellow, Laboratory of Dr. Fred Heffron, Research Institute of Scripps Clinic, 1988-1991
- Post-doctoral Fellow, Laboratory of Dr. Donald Guiney, UC San Diego, 1991-1993
- Bacterial pathogenesis
- NIAID 1RO1 AI048622-01A2 09/27/01 to 08/31/12
The SlyA Regulon in Salmonella Pathogenesis.
This project investigates SlyA and H-NS binding sites in the Salmonella Typhimurium genome, SlyA structure, and the mechanism by which SlyA antagonizes H-NS transcriptional silencing of genes that play an important role in Salmonella virulence.
- Navarre, W.W., McClelland, M., Libby, S.J., and F.C. Fang. 2007 Silencing of xenogeneic DNA by H-NS-faciliation of lateral gene transfer by a bacterial defense against foreign DNA. Genes and Development 21(2):1456-1571.
- Libby SJ, Brehm MA, Greiner DL, Shultz LD, McClelland M, Smith KD, Cookson BT, Karlinsey JE, Kinkel TL, Porwollik S, Canals R, Cummings LA, Fang FC. Humanized nonobese diabetic-SCID IL2gammanull mice are susceptible to lethal Salmonella Typhi infection. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Aug 31;107(35):15589-94.
- Main-Hester KL, Colpitts KM, Thomas GA, Fang FC, Libby SJ. Coordinate regulation of Salmonella pathogenicity island 1 (SPI1) and SPI4 in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium. Infect Immun. 2008 Mar;76(3):1024-35.
- Richardson AR, Libby SJ, Fang FC. A nitric oxide-inducible lactate dehydrogenase enables Staphylococcus aureus to resist innate immunity. Science. 2008 Mar 21;319(5870):1672-6.
- Walthers, D., Carroll, R., Navarrre, W.W., Libby, S.J., Fang, F.C., and L.J. Kenney. 2007 The response regulator SsrB activates expression of diverse Salmonella pathogenicity island 2 promoters and counters silencing by the nucleoid-associated protein H-NS. Mol Microbiol. 2007 Jul;65(2):477-93.
Honors and Awards
- Dean's Award, Northern Illinois University, 1980
Last updated: 12/31/2012