Rhoda A. Morrow, PhD
Professor Emeritus, Department of Laboratory Medicine
Head, Faculty Affairs,
Vaccine and Infectious Disease Division FHCRC
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
1100 Fairview Ave N
Dr. Morrow is a founding director of the award winning nonprofit, Hunger Intervention Program (HIP), in the Lake City area of Seattle. She is the mother of two sons and a foster daughter.
Education and Training
- Whitman College, Walla Walla, WA, 1965-66
- University of Oregon, Eugene, OR: BS (Honors), 1966-69
- University of California, Davis: PhD Microbiology, 1971-77
- University of Washington: Postdoctoral Training Program in Clinical Microbiology and Public Health (American Board of Medical Microbiology), 1992-93
- Diagnosis of human viral infections
- Mucosal immunity in sexually transmitted infections
- Serologic test methods for herpes simplex virus
- Faculty development and mentoring metrics
- Development of culturally appropriate faculty mentoring programs in Uganda
- Assessment of faculty mentoring efficacy
- Development of practical tools for faculty-peer and faculty-staff evaluation
- Belshe RB, Leone PA, Bernstein DI, Wald A, Levin MJ, Stapleton JT, Gorfinkel I, Morrow, RLA, Ewell MG, Stokes-Riner A, Dubin G, Heineman TC, Schulte JM, Deal CD; for Herpevac Trial for Women. Efficacy Results of a Trial of a Herpes Simplex Vaccine. N Engl J Med 2012; 366(1):34-43 (PMC 3287348).
- Kim HN, Scott J, Cent A, Cook L, Morrow RA, Richardson B, Tapia K, Jerome KR, Lule G, John-Stewart G, Chung MH. HBV lamivudine resistance among hepatitis B and HIV co-infected patients starting lamivudine, stavudine, and nevirapine in Kenya. J Viral Hepat 2011; (10):e447-452. Epub 2011 May 13. (PMID: 21914062).
- Neal JD, Tobian AAR, Laeyendecker O, Ngo TD, Redd AD, Reynolds ST, Morrow RA, Manucci JL, Serwadda D, Gray RH, Quinn TC. Performance of the Euroline Western blot assay in the detection of herpes simplex virus type 2 antibody in Uganda, China, and the United States. Int J STD AIDS 2011; 22(6):342-344. (PMC 3262047).
- Barnabas RV, Wasserheit JN, Huang Y, Janes H, Morrow R, Fuchs J, Mark KE, Casapia M, Mehotra DV, Buchbinder SP, Corey L; the NIAID HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Impact of Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 on HIV-1 acquisition and progression in an HIV vaccine trial (the Step Study). JAIDS 2011; 57(3);238-44. [Epub ahead of print]. (PMID 21860356).
- Mujugira A, Morrow RA, Celum C, Lingappa J, Delany-Moretlwe S, Fife KH, Heffron R, De Bruyn G, Homawoo B, Karita E, Mugo N, Vwalika B, Baeten JM; for the Partners in Prevention HSV/HIV Transmission Study Team. Performance of the Focus HerpeSelect-2 enzyme immunoassay for the detection of herpes simplex virus type 2 antibodies in seven African countries. Sex Transm Infect 2011; 87(3):238-241. Epub 2011 Feb 9. (PMC 3066402).
Honors and Awards
- Phi Kappa Phi Scholastic Honorary, 1972
- NIH Tumor Biology Award, 1972
- University of California Cancer Research Coordinating Committee Award, 1978
- Fellow, Infectious Diseases Society of America, 1997
- City of Seattle Mayor’s End Hunger Award - Community Leader, 2008
Last updated: 09/06/2016