April Abbott, PhD, D(ABMM)
Assistant Director, Clinical Microbiology;
Head of Microbiology, Medical Technology Program
University of Washington
Department of Laboratory Medicine, NW120
1959 Pacific St.
Seattle, WA 98195-7110
Dr. Abbott is an Assistant Director of the Clinical Microbiology laboratories at the University of Washington Medical Center and Harborview Medical Center. As part of the Department of Laboratory Medicine, Dr. Abbott serves as the Head of the Microbiology for the Medical Technology Program.
Education and Training
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Clinical Microbiology, Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 2009-11
- Doctor of Philosophy, Molecular Pathology, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX. 2009
- Thesis: 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases as regulators of pulmonary corticosterone during the granulomatous response to trehalose-6'6-dimycolate (TDM)
- Bachelor of Science, Biology, Department of Biology, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2004
- Clinical Microbiology
- Antimicrobial Susceptibility
- Study of antimicrobial resistance mechanisms
- Utilization of information technology systems for infection control and antimicrobial stewardship
- Welsh KJ, Skrobarcek K, Abbott AN, Lewis C, Kruzel M, Lewis EM, Gardiner JM, Mohr JF, Armitige LY, and Wanger A. "Predictors of relapse of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia after treatment with vancomycin." J Clin Microbiol. 2011 Oct;49(10):3669-72.
- Abbott AN, Welsh KJ, Hwang SA, Płoszaj P, Choudhury T, Boyd S, Blackburn MR, Hunter RL Jr, Actor JK. 2011. "IL-6 mediates 11βHSD type 2 to effect progression of the mycobacterial cord factor trehalose 6,6'-dimycolate-induced granulomatous response." Neuroimmunomodulation. 2011;18(4):212-25.
- Welsh KJ, Abbott AN, Lewis EM, Gardiner JM, Kruzel MC, Lewis CT, Mohr JF, Wanger A, Armitige LY. 2010. "Clinical characteristics, outcomes, and microbiologic features associated with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia in pediatric patients treated with vancomycin." J Clin Microbiol. 48(3):894-9
- Abbott AN, Guidry TV, Welsh KJ, Thomas AM, Kling MA, Hunter RL, Actor JK. 2009. "11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases are regulated during the pulmonary granulomatous response to the mycobacterial glycolipid trehalose-6,6'-dimycolate." Neuroimmunomodulation. 16(3):147-54
- Welsh KJ, Abbott AN, Hwang SA, Indrigo J, Armitige LY, Blackburn MR, Hunter RL Jr, Actor JK. 2008. "A role for tumour necrosis factor-alpha, complement C5 and interleukin-6 in the initiation and development of the mycobacterial cord factor trehalose 6,6'-dimycolate induced granulomatous response." Microbiology.
Honors and Awards
- Honors and Awards Program for Excellence in Science/Sponsored Membership. American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2008
- UT-GSBS Travel Award. Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX, 2007
- UT-Houston Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Research Day Award. UT-GSBS, Houston, TX, 2007
- Student Travel Grant. American Society for Microbiology, 2006
- UT-Houston Medical School GSEC Award. UT-Houston, Houston, TX, 2006
- UT-Houston Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Research Day Award. UT-GSBS, Houston, TX, 2006
- UT-GSBS Travel Award. Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX, 2006
Last updated: 12/31/2012