Robert Coombs, MD, PhD, FRCP(C), FIDSA, FACP
Active Medical Staff, University of Washington;
Associate Medical Staff, Harborview Medical Center
University of Washington
Department of Laboratory Medicine, HSB K-451
1959 Pacific St.
Seattle, WA 98195-7110
Education and Training
- BSc (Honors), Microbiology, University of Victoria, 1972
- MSc Biochemistry, University of Victoria, 1973
- PhD Microbiology, Dalhousie University, 1977
- MD Dalhousie University, 1981
- Dalhousie University Program, Internal Medicine, Internship, 1981-1982
- Dalhousie University, Internal Medicine, Residency Training Program, 1982-1985
- Dalhousie University, Chief Medical Resident, 1984-1985
- University of Washington, Infectious Diseases, Senior Fellow, 1985-1988
- Molecular core virology of HIV transmission and early infection
- Cooper CJ, Metch B, Dragavon J, Coombs RW, and Baden LR. Vaccine-Induced HIV Seropositivity/Reactivity in nonifected HIV Vaccine Recipients. NIAID HIV Vaccine Trials Network (HVTN) Vaccine-Induced Seropositivity (VISP) Task Force. JAMA. 2010; Jul 21; 304(3):275-283 (doi: 10.1001/jama.2010.926).
- Luqe AE, Hitti J, Mwachari C, Lane C, Messing S, Cohn SE, Adler D, Rose R, Coombs R. Prevalence of human papillomavirus genotypes in HIV-1-infected women in Seattle, USA and Nairobi, Kenya: results from the Women's HIV Interdisciplinary Network (WHIN). International Journal of Infectious Diseases: IJID: official publication of the International Society for Infectious Diseases. 2010; 14(9):e810-4. Epub 2010 Jul 22.
- Bull M, Learn G, Genowati I, McKernan J, Hitti J, Lockhart D, Tapia K, Holte S, Dragavon J, Coombs R, Mullins J, Frenkel L. Compartmentalization of HIV-1 within the female genital tract is due to monotypic and low-diversity variants not distinct viral populations. PLoS One 2009; 4(9):e7122. PMID: 19771165; PMCID: PMC2741601.
- Nittayananta W, Hladik F, Klausner M, Harb S, Coombs RW. HIV-1 fails to trigger innate immune factor synthesis in differential oral epithelium. ARHR 2009; 25(10): 1013-1021.
- Stekler JD, Swenson PD, Coombs RW, Dragavon J, Thomas KK, Brennan CA, Devare SG, Wood RW, Golden MR. HIV Testing in a High Incidence Population: Is Antibody Testing Alone Good Enough? Clin Infect Dis 2009; 49(3):444-453. PMID: 19538088.
Honors and Awards
- Government of British Columbia Scholarship, University of Victoria, 1968-1972
- President's Scholarship, University of Victoria, 1971-1972
- Graduate Scholarship, University of Victoria, 1973
- Graduate Scholarship, Dalhousie University, 1973-1975
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, 1981
- Medical Research Council of Canada Fellowship, University of Washington, 1985-1989
- T.J. Marrie Lectureship, Infectious Diseases, Dalhousie University, 2004
- Constance B. Wofsy Women's Health Investigator Award, AIDS Trials Group, 2008
Last updated: 1/22/2013