Meghan Delaney, DO, MPH
Associate Professor, Laboratory Medicine
University of Washington
Medical Director, Transfusion Services, Seattle Children's Hospital
Medical Director, Immunohematology & Red Cell Genomics Reference Laboratory, Bloodworks NW
Medical Director, Apheresis, Bloodworks NW
921 Terry Avenue, Box 359190
Seattle, WA 98104
Department of Laboratory Medicine
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195 9190
Tel: (206) 689‑6510
Fax: (206) 292‑4442
- M.P.H, University of Washington, 2010
- Diplomat, Transfusion Medicine and Blood Banking, American Board of Pathology, 2008
- Diplomat, Clinical Pathology, American Board of Pathology, 2007
- D.O., University of New England, 2004
- B.S., University of Vermont, 1998
Meghan Delaney is the Medical Director for the Immunohematology and Red Cell Genomics Reference Laboratory that focuses on patient testing for those whose blood is difficult to match, such as sickle cell disease patients, and obstetrical patients with fetal incompatibility. Dr. Delaney also focuses on pediatric transfusion medicine and apheresis at Seattle Children's Hospital as the Transfusion Services Medical Director. As a continued interest, she focuses on transfusion improvement and medical education in developing nations by leading courses and sustainable technology development. She has published many scientific articles and book chapters about blood transfusion and apheresis. She also serves as the chair of the AABB's Molecular Accreditation Committee, on the College of American Pathologists (CAP) Transfusion Medicine Resource Committee, is an Associate Program Director for the Pathology Residence Program, and is on the editorial board of Transfusion.
- American Association of Blood Banks
- American Society for Apheresis
- American Society for Clinical Pathology
- American Society of Hematology
- College of American Pathologists
- International Society of Blood Transfusion
- Delaney M, Harris S, Haile A, Johnsen J, Teramura G, Nelson K. Red blood cell antigen genotype analysis for 9087 Asian, Asian American, and Native American blood donors. Transfusion. 2015. Epub May 28.
- Steiner ME, Ness PM, Assmann SF, Triulzi DJ, Sloan SR, Delaney M, Granger S, Bennett‑Guerrero E, Blajchman MA, Scavo V, Carson JL, Levy JH, Whitman G, D'Andrea P, Pulkrabek S, Ortel TL, Bornikova L, Raife T, Puca KE, Kaufman RM, Nuttall GA, Young PP, Youssef S, Engelman R, Greilich PE, Miles R, Josephson CD, Bracey A, Cooke R, McCullough J, Hunsaker R, Uhl L, McFarland JG, Park Y, Cushing MM, Klodell, KR, Roberts PR, Dyke C, Hod EA, Stowell CP. Effects of Red Cell Storage Duration in Cardiac Surgery Patients, New England Journal of Medicine. 2015 Apr 9;372(15):1419‑29.
- Sandler SG, Flegel WA, Westhoff CM, Denomme GA, Delaney M, Keller MA, Johnson ST, Katz L, Queenan JT, Vassallo RR, Simon CD. It's time to phase‑in RHD genotyping for patients with a serological weak D phenotype. Transfusion. 2015 Mar; 55(3):680‑9.
- Schwartz J, Winters JL, Padmanabhan A, Balogun RA, Delaney M, Linenberger ML, Szczepiorkowski ZM, Williams ME, Wu Y, Shaz BH, Guidelines on the Use of Therapeutic Apheresis in Clinical Practice—Evidence‑Based Approach from the Writing Committee of the American Society for Apheresis: The Sixth Special Issue. Journal of Clinical Apheresis 28:145‑284 (2013).
- Delaney M, Capocelli KE, Eder AF, Schneiderman J, Schwartz J, Sloan SR, Wong ECC, Kim HC. An International Survey of Pediatric Apheresis Practice. J Clin Apher. 2014 Apr;29(2):120‑6.
- Wilkinson K, Harris S, Gaur P, Haile A,Armour R, Teramura G, Delaney M. Molecular blood typing augments serological testing and allows for enhanced matching of red blood cells for transfusion in patients with sickle cell disease. Transfusion. 2012 Feb;52(2):381‑8.
- AABB Technical Manual, 18th edition. Editor Mark K. Fung. Chapter: Perinatal Issues in Transfusion Practice. Melanie S. Kennedy, Meghan Delaney, Scott Scrape. AABB Press, 2014.
- Blood Transfusion Therapy: A Physician's Handbook, 11th edition. Editors: N Bandarenko, K King. Chapter: Therapeutic Apheresis. Meghan Delaney. AABB Press, in press 2014.
- Therapeutic Apheresis: A Physician's Handbook, 4th edition. Editor: Jeffrey L Winters. Chapter: Therapeutic Plasma Exchange. Meghan Delaney & Joseph Kiss. AABB Press, 2013.
- Consultative Hemostasis and Thrombosis. Editors: Craig S. Kitchens, MD, Craig M. Kessler, MD, Barbara A. Konkle, MD. Chapter: Therapeutic Apheresis - Applications for Hemorrhagic & Thrombotic Disorders. Meghan Delaney & Michael Linenberger. Elsevier, May, 2013.
- Textbook of Clinical Pediatrics, 2nd edition. Editor A Elzouki, Chapter: Transfusion of Blood Products. Trisha Wong & Meghan Delaney. Springer, 2010, in press.
Last updated: 10/06/2015