Kent E. Opheim, PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Laboratory Medicine;
Director, Clinical Cytogenetics, Seattle Children's Hospital
Seattle Children's Hospital
Department of Laboratories, OC.8.720
PO Box 5371
4800 Sand Point Way, NE
Seattle, WA 98105
I enjoy hiking in the parks of North America, exploring urban architecture, and taking cooking classes with my daughter.
Education and Training
- Fellow, Medical Genetics, Univ. of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA (certified American Board of Medical Genetics, Cytogenetics, No.96156), 1992-1994
- Fellow, Clinical Chemistry, Univ. of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, (certified American Board of Clinical Chemistry, No. 543), 1975-1977
- Fellow, Pharmacology, Stanford Univ. School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA, 1973-1975
- Fellow, Organic Chemistry, Syntex Research, Palo Alto, CA, 1972-1973
- PhD Bio-organic Chemistry, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1972
- BS Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, 1967
- Diagnosis of Cytogenomic constitutional diseases and cancer in children using conventional cytogenetic and microarray technologies
- Development and application of fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) and microarray assays to study pediatric leukemias
- Chen X, Rutledge JC, Wu D, Fang M, Opheim KE, Xu M: Chronic myelogenous leukemia presenting in blast crisis with nodal, bilineal myeloid sarcoma and T-lymphoblastic lymphoma in a child. Pediatr Dv Pathol. 2012 Nov 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lamb AN, Rosenfeld JA, Neill NJ, Talkowski ME, Blumenthal I, Girirajan S, Keelean-Fuller D, Fan Z, Puncey J, Stevens C, Mackay-Loder L, Terespolsky D, Bader PI, Rosenbaum K, Vallee SE, Moeschler JB, Ladda R, Sell S, Martin J, Ryan S, Jones MC, Moran R, Shealy A, Madan-Khetarpal S, McConnell J, Surti U, Delahaye A, Heron-Longe B, Pipiras E, Benzacken B, Passemard S, Veroes A, Isidor B, Le Caignec C, Glew GM, Opheim KE, Descartes M, Eichler EE, Morton CC, Gusella JF, Schults RA, Ballif BC, Shaffer LG: Haploinsufficiency of SOX5 at 12p12. 1 is associated with developmental delays with prominent language delay, behavioral problems, and mild dysmorphic features. HumMutat 33:728-740, 2012.
- Poirell HA, Cairo MS, Heerema NA, Swansbury J, Auperin A, Launay E, Sanger WG, Talley P, Perkins SL, Raphael M, McCarthy K, Sposto R, Gerrard M, Bernheim A, Patte C; FAB/LMB 96 International Study Committee (includes Opheim KE): Specific cytogenetic abnormalities are associated with a significantly inferior outcome in children and adolescents with mature B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: results of the FAB/LMB 96 international study. Leukemia 23:323-31, 2009.
- Tsuchiya KT, Opheim KE, Hannibaal MC, Hing AV, Glass IA, Raff ML, Norwood T, Torchia BA: Unexpected structural complexity of supernumerary marker chromosomes characterized by microarray comparative genomic hybridization. Mol Cytogenet 1:7-17, 2008.
- Parisi MA, Ramsdell, LA, Burns MW, Carr MC, Grady RE, Gunther DF, Kletter GB, McCauley E, Mitchell ME, Opheim KE, Pihoker C, Richards GE, Soules MR, Pagon RA: A Gender Assessment Team: Experience with 250 patients over a period of 25 years. Genet Med 9:348-357, 2007.
Last updated: 2/5/2013