Shalini Pereira, MS, PhD
Scientific Director, Clinical Immunogenetics Laboratory, SCCA;
Assistant Member, Clinical Research Division, FHCRC
University of Washington
Department of Laboratory Medicine, NW120
1959 Pacific St.
Seattle, WA 98195-7110
Dr. Pereira enjoys reading, baking, traveling and spending time with family.
Education and Training
- BS Microbiology and Biochemistry, Bombay University, India, 1987
- MS Biochemistry, Bombay University, India, 1989
- MS Biochemistry, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York, 1991
- PhD Biochemistry, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York, 1996
- HLA typing of patients, family members, and potential related and unrelated or cord blood donors prior to allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant (HSCT).
- Evaluation of patient alloimmune status, antibody sensitization and resultant donor compatibility prior to HSCT.
- Post-transplant Chimerism testing of patients after HSCT (and for certain specific protocols before transplant) to determine recipient/donor origin of nucleated hematopoietic cells.
- Studying anti-HLA antibodies and their role in stem cell transplantation
- The use of desensitization protocols to reduce or eliminate high risk antibodies
- Evaluating new bio-markers for Graft versus Host disease
Dr. Pereira's research is aimed at developing tools to evaluate micro-chimerism and to provide surveillance for post transplant relapse/minimal residual disease.
- Mack SJ, Cano P, Hollenbach JA, He J, Hurley CK, Middleton D, Moraes ME, Pereira SE, et al (2012) Common and Well-Documented HLA Alleles: 2012 Update to the CWD Catalogue. Tissue Antigens. 2013 Apr;81(4):194-203. doi: 10.1111/tan.12093.
- McGoldrick SM, Bleakley ME, Guerrero A, Turtle CJ, Yamamoto TN, Pereira SE, Delaney CS, Riddell SR. (2012) Cytomegalovirus-specific T cells are primed early after cord blood transpant but fail to expand and control virus in vivo. Blood. 2013 Apr 4;121(14):2796-803. doi: 10.1182/blood-2012-09-453720. Epub 2013 Feb 14.
- O'Donnell, P.V., Harrington, E., Gooley, T.A., Pagel, J.M., Pereira, S., Flowers, M.E., Hansen, J.A., Burroughs, L.M., Sandmaier, B.M., Storb, R.F., Luznik, L., Jones, R.J., Symonds, H.J., Kasamon, Y.L. and Fuchs, E. (2012) Cyclophosphamide-induced tolerance following hematopoietic cell transplantation from haploidentical donors. Hematologica. In Press.
- Newell, LF, Milano, F, Nicoud, IB, Pereira, S, Gooley, TA, Heimfeld, S, Delaney, C. (2012) Early CD3 Peripheral Blood Chimerism Predicts the Long-Term Engrafting Unit Following Myeloablative Doube-Cord Blood Transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2012 Aug;18(8):1243-9. Epub 2012 Feb 8.
- O'Brien KL, Pereira SE, Wagner J, Shadman M, Hendrie P, Nelson K, Gernsheimer TB, Price T, Reyes JD, Nester T. Transfusion-associated graft-versus-host disease in a liver transplant recipient: an unusual presentation and review of the literature. Transfusion. 2013 Jan;53(1):174-80.
Honors and Awards
- University of Rochester, Dept of Biochem Graduate Fellowship, 1989-1996
- NIH Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Project Grant, 1996-1997
- California Cancer Research Program, Post-Doctoral Fellowship, 2000-2002
- McCormick Travel Grant Award, 2007
Last updated: 5/1/2013