Joe Rutledge, MD
Director of Laboratories,
Seattle Children's Hospital
University of Washington
Department of Laboratory Medicine
4800 Sand Point Way NE, OC-8901
Seattle, WA 98145-8081
Education and Training
- Bachelor of Science with distinction in Chemistry with American Chemical Society Certification, Rhodes College (Southwestern at Memphis), Memphis, Tennessee, 1972
- M.D. Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee, 1976
- Resident in Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, 1976-1980
- National Wilms' Tumor Study Fellow, Seattle, Washington, 1980
- University of Washington Certificate Program in Medical Management, 2000
- Anatomic and Clinical Pediatric Pathology
- Lean in the clinical laboratory
- Quality Management Systems in the pediatric setting
Current ResearchAs medical director of the Children's Laboratory I have been deeply involved in operations leading to my work in improving the laboratory both in efficiency and quality. I am trying to accomplish that work to ask research questions to allow others to have the same improvements.
- Xu M, Finn LS, Tsuchiya KD, Thomson B, Pollard J, Rutledge J. Pure erythroid leukemia following precursor B-cell lymphoblastic leukemia. Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2012 Jan-Feb;15(1):76-8. Epub 2011 Aug 30.
- Nelson JL, Gillespie KM, Lambert NC, Stevens AM, Loubiere LS, Rutledge JC, Leisenring WM, Erickson TD, Yan Z, Mullarkey ME, Boespflug ND, Bingley PJ, Gale EA. Maternal microchimerism in peripheral blood in type 1 diabetes and pancreatic islet beta-cell microchimerism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 Jan 30;104(5):1637-42. Epub 2007 Jan 23.
- Laposata M, Proytcheva MA, Rutledge JC, Stratton CW. Professional quality assurance in laboratory medicine: what about the competency of laboratory directors? Am J Clin Pathol. 2010 Nov;134(5):706-8.
- Reed RC, Rutledge JC. Laboratory and clinical predictors of thrombosis and hemorrhage in 29 pediatric ECMO nonsurvivors. Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2010 Sep-Oct;13(5):385-92.
- Rutledge J, Xu M, Simpson J. Application of the Toyota Production System Improves Core Laboratory. Am J Clin Pathol. 2010 Jan; 133(1):24-31.
Honors and Awards
- Research Associate, Mammalian Genetics Section, Biology Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee, Dr. Walderico Generoso, Director, 1971
- Sigma Nu Fraternity, Lt. Commander, 1972
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1972
- Omicron Delta Kappa, 1972
- Visiting Scientist (Dose Fractionation Effect on the Chemical Induction of Dominant Lethal Mutations in Mice), Gesellschaft fur Strahlenlung und Umweltforschung, Neuherberg bei Munchen, Dr. Udo Ehling, Director, 1972
- Clinical Clerk, Forensic Sciences and Legal Medicine Branch, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, D.C., Drs. Charles Stahl and James Zimmerly, Directors, 1973
- Bar Harbor Short Course in Medical Genetics, Dr. Victor McKusik, Director, 1974 & 84
- Clinical Clerk in Pediatric Oncology, M.D. Anderson Hospital, Houston, Texas, Dr. Jan van Eys, Chairman, 1975
- National Wilms' Tumor Study Fellow, Children's Orthopedic Hospital and Medical Center, Seattle, Washington, Dr. Bruce Beckwith, Director, 1980
- Neustein Award, Society for Pediatric Pathology, 1996
- Honorary member of Romanian Pathology Society, 1997 o Honorary member of Romanian Pathology Society, 1999
- Best Doctors in America, 2010-2012
Last updated: 5/1/2013