Lorinda Soma, MD
Associate Director, Hematopathology Laboratory
University of Washington
Department of Laboratory Medicine, NW120
1959 Pacific St.
Seattle, WA 98195-7110
Dr. Soma is married to Dr. Andy Jacobson, and has three dependents (two dogs, Indy and Nigel, and a quarter horse, Tucker). Her primary interest is evaluation of neoplastic and non-neoplastic lymphoid proliferations (nodal and extranodal).
Education and Training
- Bachelor of Arts, Hamline University, St. Paul, MN (Honors Biology; Magna Cum Laude), 1994
- Medical Doctorate, University of Minnesota Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN (Alpha Omega Alpha), 1998
- Resident, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Philadelphia, PA, 1998-2002
- Fellow, Mayo Medical Center, Surgical Pathology, Rochester, MN, 2002-2003
- Fellow, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Hematopathology, Pittsburgh, PA, 2003-2005
- Nodal and extranodal lymphomas
- Reactive lymphoid hyperplasias
- Neoplastic and non-neoplastic lymphoid proliferations of extranodal sites
- Novel markers to aid in the distinction of leukemia from regenerative blasts
- Evaluation of hematopoietic proliferations in the breast and associated with IgG4 related diseases
- Immunohistochemical analysis of differentially expressed antigens in leukemiac and regenerative stem cells in post therapeutic bone marrows of patients with acute myeloid leukemia
- Flanagan M, Sathanoori M, Surti U, Soma L, Swerdlow S. Cytogenetic Abnormalities Detected by Fluorescence in Situ Hybridization on Paraffin Embedded Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia / Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma Lymphoid Tissue Biopsies, AJCP, 2008;130:620-627.
- Craig F, Soma L, Melan M, Kant J, Swerdlow S. MUM1/IRF4 expression in the circulating compartment of chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma, 2008 Feb; 49(2):273-80.
- Jacobs SA, Vidnovic N, Patel H, Soma LA, Change Y, Bass N, Swerdlow SH, Durable remission of HIV-negative, Kasposi's sarcoma herpes virus-associated multicentric Castleman disease in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis treated with methotrexate. Clin Rheumatol., 2007 July;26(7):1148-50.
- Soma L, Craig F, Swerdlow, The Proliferation Center Microenvironment and Prognostic Markers in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia/Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma. Hum Pathol, 2006 Feb; 37(2):152-159.
- Soma L, Gollin SM, Remstein ED, Ketterling RP, Flynn HC, Rajasenan KK, Swerdlow SH, Splenic small B-cell lymphoma with IGH/BCL3 translocation. Hum Pathol, 2006 Feb;37(2): 218-30.
Honors and Awards
- Chief Resident in Anatomic Pathology, University of Pennsylvania, 200-01
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, University of Minnesota Medical School, 1998
- Janet M. Glasgow Memorial Achievement Citation, University of Minnesota Medical School, 1998
- N.L. and Sara Gault Award, University of Minnesota Medical School, 1997
- Academic honors in Pathoshysiology, Pathology and Pharmacology, University of Minnesota Medical School, 1996
- Sauer Scholarship, University of Minnesota Medical School, 1995
- Harry W. and Delores M. Mixer Scholarship, University of Minnesota Medical School, 1994
Last updated: 1/22/2013