Lorinda Soma, MD
Associate Director, Hematopathology Laboratory
University of Washington
Department of Laboratory Medicine, NW120
1959 Pacific St.
Seattle, WA 98195-7110
Dr. Soma is an associate director of the UWMC flow cytometry laboratory, associate director of the UWMC Hematology fellowship and an assistant professor in the Department of Laboratory Medicine, division of hematology. Her expertise is in the morphologic and flow cytometric diagnosis of lymphomas, reactive lymphoid processes and bone marrow disorders.
Dr. Soma’s primary research interests are related to characterization and prognostication of reactive and neoplastic lymphoid processes as well as evaluating novel therapeutic targets. She is also one of the hematopathologists involved in various therapy‑related studies evaluating lymphoid neoplasms and their response to therapy.
Dr. Soma earned her bachelor’s degree form Hamline University in St. Paul, MN, and subsequently attended the University of Minnesota Medical School in Minneapolis, MN. She was a resident in anatomic and clinical pathology residency at the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center in Philadelphia, PA, surgical pathology fellow at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN and Hematology Pathology fellow at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in Pittsburgh, PA. Dr. Soma is board certified in Clinical Pathology, Anatomic Pathology and Hematology Pathology.
Dr. Soma was a shareholder in Diagnostic Pathology Medical Group in Sacramento, CA for six years prior to her move to UWMC in 2012. She is a fellow, American Society for Clinical Pathology (FASCP); fellow, College of American Pathologists (FCAP); and a member of the United States and Canadian Association of Pathologists (USCAP), the Society of Hematopathology, the American Society of Hematology (ASH) and the American Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists (ACLPS).
Education and Training
- Bachelor of Arts, Hamline University, St. Paul, MN (Honors Biology; Magna Cum Laude), 1994
- Medical Doctorate, University of Minnesota Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN (Alpha Omega Alpha), 1998
- Resident, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Philadelphia, PA, 1998-2002
- Fellow, Mayo Medical Center, Surgical Pathology, Rochester, MN, 2002-2003
- Fellow, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Hematopathology, Pittsburgh, PA, 2003-2005
- Nodal and extranodal lymphomas
- Reactive lymphoid hyperplasias
- Neoplastic and non-neoplastic lymphoid proliferations of extranodal sites
- Novel markers to aid in the distinction of leukemia from regenerative blasts
- Evaluation of hematopoietic proliferations in the breast and associated with IgG4 related diseases
- Immunohistochemical analysis of differentially expressed antigens in leukemiac and regenerative stem cells in post therapeutic bone marrows of patients with acute myeloid leukemia
- Flanagan M, Sathanoori M, Surti U, Soma L, Swerdlow S. Cytogenetic Abnormalities Detected by Fluorescence in Situ Hybridization on Paraffin Embedded Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia / Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma Lymphoid Tissue Biopsies, AJCP, 2008;130:620-627.
- Craig F, Soma L, Melan M, Kant J, Swerdlow S. MUM1/IRF4 expression in the circulating compartment of chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma, 2008 Feb; 49(2):273-80.
- Jacobs SA, Vidnovic N, Patel H, Soma LA, Change Y, Bass N, Swerdlow SH, Durable remission of HIV-negative, Kaposi’s sarcoma herpes virus-associated multicentric Castleman disease in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis treated with methotrexate. Clin Rheumatol., 2007 July;26(7):1148-50.
- Soma L, Craig F, Swerdlow, The Proliferation Center Microenvironment and Prognostic Markers in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia/Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma. Hum Pathol, 2006 Feb; 37(2):152-159.
- Soma L, Gollin SM, Remstein ED, Ketterling RP, Flynn HC, Rajasenan KK, Swerdlow SH, Splenic small B-cell lymphoma with IGH/BCL3 translocation. Hum Pathol, 2006 Feb;37(2): 218-30.
Honors and Awards
- Chief Resident in Anatomic Pathology, University of Pennsylvania, 200-01
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, University of Minnesota Medical School, 1998
- Janet M. Glasgow Memorial Achievement Citation, University of Minnesota Medical School, 1998
- N.L. and Sara Gault Award, University of Minnesota Medical School, 1997
- Academic honors in Pathoshysiology, Pathology and Pharmacology, University of Minnesota Medical School, 1996
- Sauer Scholarship, University of Minnesota Medical School, 1995
- Harry W. and Delores M. Mixer Scholarship, University of Minnesota Medical School, 1994
Last updated: 12/04/2014