Min Xu, M.D., Ph.D.
Medical Director of Core Laboratory at
Seattle Children's Hospital and Bellevue Clinic and Surgery Center
University of Washington
Department of Laboratory Medicine, NW120
1959 Pacific St.
Seattle, WA 98195-7110
Education and Training
- M.D., Beijing University School of Medicine, 1980-1986
- Ph.D. Molecular Biology and Genetics, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 1988-1993
- Postdoctoral Training, National Institutes of Health, 1993-1997
- Pathology residency, The George Washington University Hospital, 1997-2001
- Fellowship, Clinical Chemistry, National Institutes of Health, 2001-2002
- Core laboratory operation
- Pediatric Hematopathology
- Core laboratory improvement
My research interest is to improve core (rapid response) laboratory operation. With the revolution of technology, tests that previously could only be performed in specialty laboratory can now be performed in a general core laboratory. Recently we implemented the first molecular infectious disease testing in our core laboratory with 24/7 service, which significantly reduced test turn-around-time and improved patient care.
Chen X, Rutledge JC, Wu D, Fang M, Opheim KE, Xu M. Chronic myelogenous leukemia presenting in blast phase with nodal, bilineal myeloid sarcoma and T-lymphoblastic lymphoma in a child. Pediatr Dev Pathol 2013, in press.
Xu M, Qin X, Astion ML, Rutledge JC, Simpson MT, Jerome KR, Englund JA, Zerr DM, Migita RT, Rich S, Childs JC, Cent A, Del Beccaro MA. Implementation of FilmArray respiratory viral panel in a core laboratory improves testing turn-around-time and patient care. Am J Clin Pathol. 2013, Jan; in press.
Xu M, Finn LS, Tsuchiya KD, Thomson B, Pollard J, Rutledge JC. Pure erythroid leukemia following precursor B-cell lymphoblastic leukemia. Pediatr Dev Pathol 2012;15:76-8.
Xu M, Robbe VA, Jack RM, Rutledge JC. Under-filled blood collection tubes containing K2EDTA as anticoagulant are acceptable for automated complete blood counts, white blood cell differential, and reticulocyte count. Int J Lab Hematol 2010;32:491-7.
Rutledge J, Xu M, Simpson J. Application of the Toyota Production System Improves Core Laboratory Operations. Am J Clin Pathol 2010;133:24-31.
Honors and Awards
- Beijing Foreigner Distinguish Scientist Award, 2009
- Royalty Research Fund Award, UW, 2003
- New Investigator Award, Center for AIDS Research, UW, 1998
- The Artheur Ashe Foundation for the Defeat of AIDS Award, 1995
- Pro-Tec Containers, Inc. and Becton Dickinson Inc. Award, 1994
Last updated: 2/21/2013