Winter 2011 Service-Learning
Browsing Service-Learning Positions :
- Students registered for a service-learning course (see list below) will be able to begin browsing service-learning positions in early January 2011.
- Before service-learning registration begins on January 6th, you can learn about each position and decide which ones look interesting to you and will fit with your schedule.
- Students engaged in service-learning will spend 20 to 40 hours in the community over the course of the quarter.
- Explore the Students page on our website to learn more about service-learning!
You may also contact us at 206.616.2885 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have additional questions.
Registering for Service-Learning Positions:
- Carlson Center staff will make a presentation in each class about service-learning logistics during the first days of the quarter.
- ONLINE REGISTRATION is different depending on what course you are in. If you are in:
- ECFS 304, SPAN 392 (majors only), SOC 110, or SOC 440, registration opens at 8am on Wednesday, January 5th
- Other courses with a service-learning requirement (see list below), registration opens at 7am on Thursday, January 6th
- Courses with a service-learning option (see list below), registration opens at 8am on Thursday, January 6th
- GEN ST 197 and SPAN 392 (non-majors), registration will open at 8am on Friday, January 7th
- All service-learning positions are first come, first served. If a position is filled, you must choose another open position.
- Please do not call the service-learning organization until you have registered for a position. After registration, you can log back in to the service-learning database at any time to find details about your service-learning position.
- Already an active volunteer in an organization whose mission and work meets the learning goals and objectives for your course? Please click here to access information regarding Service-Learning Self Placements.
Below is the list of Winter 2011 Servcie-Learning courses with a required service component:
|Course #||Course Title||Faculty|
|ANTH 353/ WOMEN 353||Anthropological Study of Women||Johnson, Jessica|
|ANTH 414||Applied and Public Anthropology||Barker, Holly|
|ANTH 469B||Service-Learning in Criminal Justice||Rhodes, Lorna|
|ECFS 200||Introduction to Early Childhood and Family Studies||Boyd, Soleil|
|ECFS 304||Service Learning and Research II||Joseph, Gail|
|ECFS 455||Advanced Service-Learning
and Research II
|EDUC 401C||Community Literacy Project||Simmons-O'Neill, Elizabeth|
|ENGL 121A||Composition: Social Issues
(The Achievement Gap)
|ENGL 121C||Composition: Social Issues
( Self in Relation to Service)
|ENGL 121D||Composition: Social Issues
|ENGL 121E||Composition: Social Issues
(Hunger and Homelessness)
|ENGL 121F||Composition: Social Issues
||Moore, Sarah Kate|
|GEN ST 348||Community-based Leadership||Pursch, Lo, and Lee|
|SOC 110||Survey Sociology||Pichford, Susan|
|SOC 440||Comparative Social Problems||Pichford, Susan|
|SOC WF 315||Community-Service Learning|
|SPAN 392||Experiential Learning||Gillman, Maria|
|TSA 400||Introduction to Workplace Communication||McCarty, Sharon|
Below is the list of Winter 2011 Servcie-Learning Courses with an optional service component:
|Asian American Women||Nomura, Gail|
|AES 322 / WOMEN 300||Gender, Race and Class||Kim, Nina|
|AES 340||Race, Ethnicity, and Education||Bonus, Rick|
|ANTH 322 / RELIGION 320||Comparative Study of Death||McCoy, Renee|
|ANTH 359||Linguistic Ethnography||Barker, Holly|
|ENGL 470||Special Topics: Teaching Literatures||Taranath, Anupana|
|ESRM 200||Society and Sustainable Environments||Asah, Stanley|
|GEN ST 197||Making the Most of your UW Experience||Chang and Pitre-Collins|
|GEOG 331||Global Poverty and Care||Lawson, Vicky|
|GEOG 335||Geography of the Developing World||Hannah, Joe|
|HIST 249 / POL S 249 / SOC 266||Introduction to Labor Studies||Levi, Margaret|
|MATH 381||Discrete Mathematical Modeling||Billey, Sara|
|NURS 201||Lifespan Growth and Development||Wilgerodt, Mayumi|
|SIS 438||Forced Migrations||Friedman, Kathie|
|WOMEN 200||Introduction to Women Studies||Ginorio, Angela|
|WOMEN 255||Masculinities||Allen, David|
Last updated December 27, 2010.