Introduction: Course objectives

Audiology Practice

Field of Audiology

History of Audiology

Training and Education

Professional Organizations

Find a Pediatric Audiologist

How the Ear Works

Hearing Loss

Detecting and Diagnosing Hearing Loss in Children

Intervention for Children with Permanent HL

Case studies


Credits and Acknowledgements


Last updated: 10-sep-10

Audiology Training and Education

Audiologists working in the field may have a master’s degree (M.S), an audiology clinical doctorate (Au.D.), or a doctorate (Ph.D.). In order to practice clinically, an audiologist must maintain clinical certification (CCC-A) through ASHA (American Speech Language Hearing Association), the national organization. In most states, audiologists also must comply with state licensure standards to practice. The current entry level clinical degree is the audiology doctorate (AuD). The AuD graduate degree typically requires 3 years of didactic coursework in an accredited university program, as well as 12 months of a full-time clinical externship with a total of 1800 supervised clinical hours. Finally, graduates must pass a national board certification exam.

back | next

Center on Human Development and Disability, UW LEND, University of Washington,
Box 357920, Seattle, WA 98195-7920