We strongly recommend that you use the sample document as a template for submitting
your papers: Sample
You must either copy and paste your original paper into the document or simply
type your paper into the document preserving the original formatting. If you
choose to copy and paste from your existing document, please do so paragraph
by paragraph (excluding the paragraph mark). To view the formatting marks, including
the paragraph symbol, click ¶ on the toolbar.
You can also follow the guidelines below:
- Submit in Word 6.0 or newer, PC format preferred (disk or email).
- Also submit 2 hard copies of your paper.
- 2 sided page format.
- 1" top and bottom margins.
- 1.25" side margins.
- .25" gutter.
- 1.5 line spacing.
- 12 pt. Times New Roman font.
- First page header, justified at left margin, in 10 pts. italics:
University of Washington Working Papers in Linguistics
Volume 24 (2005) pp. x-y
- Thereafter, even page header, centered in 10 pt. italics:
Article title (short version if needed).
- Odd page header, centered, in 10 pt. italics:
Author's first and last names
- Bold and centered, 14 pt.
- Under title in 12 pt. (not bold):
- Start two lines from email.
- Indent each new paragraph without skipping a line. Do not
indent a paragraph which immediately follows a section heading.
Sections and paragraphs
- Headings: left aligned, 12 pt.
- First bold, second bold and italics, third italics (e.g. 1,
- Skip a line between the end of a paragraph and a section heading.
- One extra space at the end of each section.
- You are responsible for ensuring that page breaks do not occur in
the middle of figures / data. Use Format / Paragraph / Line and Page Breaks
/ Keep with Next wherever you do not want a break to occur.
- Page numbers will be assigned to authors on a first come first served basis.
- First page has no page number.
- Thereafter, page number 0.5" from top and outer side of page (select
- Bottom of page, single spaced, 10 pt.
- Numbered examples in parentheses, left aligned. If there are sub-examples,
they should be lettered a., b., c., etc. The letter should be indented.
- Separate examples from the text by one space.
Final submission: Please email the following TWO documents as attachments:
- Contact the editors at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your document in Word using the Sample Document (ex.
- Your document in PDF format
If you have IPA characters in your document, you must use one of the
SIL fonts, which can be downloaded here.
We prefer the SIL Encore IPA93 Fonts.
If you are unsure of how to use captions and the heading formatting in the
submission document, please see the following tutorial.
For any remaining questions about formatting or submitting, please email us
If you have any further questions or
comments please contact us at email@example.com
Last modified 17 January 2005 by