Enter english characters in the text box and the corresponding Cuneiform characters show above.
If you have not downloaded and installed the the fonts and documentation created by Sylvie Vanseveren, please download the Hittite fonts here at the Hethitologie Portal Mainz, which is an excellent resourse for fonts (more than just what is used in this program) and texts. The fonts are necessary for the program to work properly and the documentation (Hittite.pdf), which is included in the zip file, will be helpful for inputting characters. Each character must be separated by a space. The space tells the program a character is done. Otherwise, it will continue to try to look up the sign, often returning an "oops" message. There are three ways to input characters: 1) Borger numbers; 2) Hethitisches Zeichenlexikon numbers; 3) the autotext combinations found in the Hittite.pdf.
This short tutorial will show you the basic patterns.
- Borger numbers: To enter a sign by its Borger number, type b + a number, followed by a space. For example, to call up Borger number 13, you would type b13. Case does matter - so b13 will give you the correct sign while B13 will give you an error. A listing of Borger numbers and the signs they correspond to can be found in Hittite.pdf. If the Borger number is not listed in the Hittite.pdf file, then it is not encoded into the program.
- HZL numbers: To enter a sign by its HZL number, type h + a number, followed by a space. For example, to call up HZL number 64, you would type h64. Case does matter - so h64 will give you the correct sign while H64 will give you an error. A listing of HZL numbers and the signs they correspond to can be found in Hittite.pdf.
- Autotext: To enter a sign by its autotext, type the autotext value found in Hittite.pdf followed by a space.
- The backspace key will allow you to back up and make changes.
- However the arrow keys do not matter. This is not a word processor. You can't move
back into the middle of a long passage and make an internal change. All you can do is backspace
and re-type if you detect a mistake way back
- There is no 'SAVE' function for your typing, but phrases that you type here
can be copied and pasted into
Word or Notepad. (you may need to set the font for Notepad.)
- Any portion of text can be shown or hidden by clicking the appropriate buttons at the top of the page. Thus you could quiz yourself on the phonetic value of each sign by turning off the transliteration.
open it and use it locally to type your phrases with no need to be connected to the internet.
- So download this program to your desktop and Enjoy!