Madison Clinic
For Providers For Patients Pharmacy Calendar Resources

Social Services Resources

Madison Clinic has a social work unit that provides case management to help patients access community resources; income and medical benefits; practical, legal and emotional support; housing; and mental health and chemical dependency programs. They also coordinate in-home care and access to residential services. Please be aware that the easiest way to navigate the complex social services system is by working closely with your case manager. Many of the following resources require a referral from case management.

  1. Dental/ Medical Engagement and Basic Needs
  2. Medication Adherence
  3. Emotional Support/Counseling
  4. Chemical Abuse/Dependency Treatment and Harm Reduction
  5. Low income, Subsidized Housing Resources
  6. Energy and Utility Assistance Programs

I. Dental/ Medical Engagement and Basic Needs

ACAP (AIDS/HIV Care Access Project), (206) 284-9277. Starting point in finding a doctor or dentist who specializes in HIV/AIDS care.

Bailey-Boushay House, (206) 322-5300. Offers residential care and day health programs for people living with AIDS. The Adult Day Health Program at Bailey-Boushay offers a rich array of health, social services, and education/prevention services. You must have skilled nursing or rehabilitation needs to be referred to the Adult Day Health program. This requires a referral from your medical provider and case manager. The Residential Care Program provides intensive, round-the-clock skilled nursing care to people living and dying with AIDS.

BastyrCenter for Natural Health, (206) 925-4665. Free or discounted natural health care for low-income people living with HIV/AIDS. Services offered: acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutrition, homeopathy, naturopathic medicine.

HIV/STD Hotline, (206) 205-7837. One on One: Early access services for HIV Positive People, confidential HIV/AIDS and other STD Information, referral for HIV and STD Testing and Other Services, foreign language interpretation on request.

Lifelong AIDS Alliance Food Services, (206) 957-1668. Provides weekly grocery pick-up for HIV positive individuals. A referral from your case manager is required and there are income limits for this service.

Lifelong AIDS Alliance, (206) 328-8979. Provide housing and home chores, food and nutrition services, insurance continuation, transportation, case management, and emergency financial assistance to people living with HIV/AIDS.

Madison Clinic, HarborviewMedicalCenter, (206) 744-5100. Medical care, case management for HIV/AIDS diagnosed adults in King county, psychiatric services, nutrition, and acupuncture.

II. Medication Adherence

Lifelong Aids Alliance Adherence Program, (206) 957-1659. A STEP-adherence program that helps figure out how and when to take your HIV medication.

III. Emotional Support/Counseling

BABES Network (YWCA), (206) 720-5566. The BABES Network allows HIV- positive women to come together and share experiences, information and emotional support through support groups, peer counseling, gatherings, and advocacy.

Crisis Line, (206) 461-3222. 24 hour telephone crisis line, confidential assistance for people in emotional distress and in need of help.

Dunshee House, (206) 322-2437. Confidential, free and facilitated emotional support groups for persons infected or affected by HIV/AIDS. Also one on one social/emotional support for newly HIV diagnosed gay men.

LGBT Community Resource and Referral Network, (206) 323-5428. Community resources pertinent to the LGBT community. Focus on community development, increasing public understanding, and celebrating

POCAAN (People of color against AIDS Network), (206) 322-7061. Community based HIV prevention and education agency serving communities of color. Services include HIV presentations, client advocacy for newly diagnosed people, testing and counseling, chemical dependence and mental health counseling.

POZSeattle. Hosts social activities for HIV+ gay men: coffees, bowling, dining outs, hikes, picnics, potlucks, etc.

Shanti, (206) 324-1520. One-to-one free and confidential emotional support to people living with HIV/AIDS or other life threatening illness.

Pet Project - Community Services. Pet Project matches volunteers one-on-one with clients, handling most of their pet care needs on a monthly basis, and enables clients to keep their pets while spending their limited resources on food and other living expenses for themselves.

IV. Chemical Abuse/Dependency Treatment and Harm Reduction

Needle Exchange, (206) 205-7837. Needle exchange programs provide new, sterile syringes in a one-for-one exchange for used, contaminated syringes. Also help drug users get into drug treatment and health care and provide important risk reduction information.

NEON, (206) 323-1768. Seek to help individuals minimize the harms associated with use of methamphetamine. Offers peer education, materials, and

Opiate Replacement Treatment Program. Subsidized methadone treatment for HIV positive adults. Client must be 18 years of age or older, receive income at or below 200% Federal Poverty Level, have a medical care provider and/or clinic, and live in King County. Please contact Joan Clement at (206) 744-5162.

ADATSA stands for Alcoholism and Drug Addiction Treatment and Support Act. It provides funding for drug and alcohol treamtment to those who have no income and need treatment. It mandates ongoing drug/alcohol treatment. It will pay for up to 180 days of inpatient and up to 90 days of outpatient treatment and have a living stipend of up to $339/month. Apply at your local DSHS CSO office or through your case manager.

Recovery Centers of King County (RCKC) offers detox, inpatient and outpatient chemical dependency treatment. Detox phone number is (206) 325-5000. Outpatient treatment phone number is (206) 322-2970.

Harborview Medical Center Addictions Program offers outpatient drug/alcohol treatment and co-occurring treatment and is located in the Pat Steel Building at 401 Broadway, phone number is (206) 744-9600.

Downtown Emergency Service Center (DESC) at 515 Third Avenue offers chemical dependency services to the homeless and those with co-occurring disorders.

There are many other chemical dependency treatment programs that you can talk to your case manager to see what will fit your needs.

Positive Choices, (206) 957-1697. Sexual risk reduction counseling for HIV+ men who have sex with other men in King County.

Seattle Counseling Service, (206) 323-1768. Counseling, medication management, chemical dependency treatment, support groups for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender individuals.

V. Low income, Subsidized Housing Resources

Housing is a process that may take some time in Seattle. Housing is very expensive in King County and getting your name on as many lists as possible is important. Most low income apartments are now studios. There are several levels of housing that include shelters or emergency housing, traditional housing for up to two years and permanent housing. Lifelong AIDS alliance works with people with AIDS diagnosis on housing options but this requires a referral from your case manager. A bad credit history or a prison or jail history can complicate housing. Work with your case manager and the final rule is that the more flexible you are and the more willing to negotiate for payee, clean and sober housing, etc. the faster it will be to find housing. It is not hopeless but it may take some ongoing work to find housing.

Archdiocesan Housing Authority: 206-448-3360.

Capitol Hill Housing Improvement Program: 206-329-7303.

Housing Resources Group: 206-622-2893.

Low Income Housing Institute: 206-443-9935.

Plymouth Housing Group: 206-652-8325.

Seattle Housing Authority: 206-239-1500.

VI. Energy and Utility Assistance Programs

Energy Assistance Program, (206) 328-2356. Can pay a portion of the home heating costs for low-income households that heat with electricity, gas, oil or wood.

Emergency Low Income Assistance through SeattleCity Light, (206) 684-3688. Program is eligible for clients facing disconnection. Program is available after the Energy Assistance Program has been used or is no longer available.

Utility Rate Discounts, (206) 684-0268. Provides reduced utility rates for persons with disabilities. Qualified applicants receive a 50% discount on their Seattle City Light bill. Those who are Seattle residents can also receive a reduced rate on their combined utilities (sewer, drainage, and solid waste).

Project Share, (206) 684-0268. Provides payment assistance and consultation for eligible residential Seattle City Light customers facing disconnection.

[top of page]

*Adobe Acrobat Reader is required for viewing or printing PDFs. Acrobat Reader is available free of charge from the Adobe website at