Metals are opaque, lustrous elements that are good conductors of heat
and electricity. Most metals are malleable
and are, in general, denser than the other elemental substances.
What are some applications of metals?
Metals are used in:
- Transportation -- Cars, buses, trucks, trains, ships, and airplanes.
- Aerospace -- Unmanned and manned rockets and the space shuttle.
- Computers and other electronic devices that require conductors (TV,
radio, stereo, calculators, security devices, etc.)
- Communications including satellites that depend on a tough but light
- Food processing and preservation -- Microwave and conventional ovens
and refrigerators and freezers.
- Construction -- Nails in conventional lumber construction and
structural steel inother buildings.
- Biomedical applications -- As artificial replacement for joints and
- Electrical power production and distribution -- Boilers, turbines,
generators, transformers, power lines, nuclear reactors, oil wells,
- Farming -- Tractors, combines, planters, etc.
- Household conveniences -- Ovens, dish and clothes washers, vacuum
cleaners, blenders, pumps, lawn mowers and trimmers, plumbing, water
heaters, heating/cooling, etc.