Financial Aid

MCH Program Traineeships

The MCH Program awards a limited number of traineeships each year based on an applicant's professional experience, leadership potential, academic merit, and financial need. Special consideration is given to applicants committed to working with underserved populations in the United States, including families living in rural communities, children with special health care needs, and low-income American Indian, Alaska Native, African-American, and Hispanic families and children—populations in which profound disparities exist in health status and in access to prevention and treatment services. Recipients must maintain full-time enrollment (10 credits) in the School of Public Health.

Financial support from the MCH Program is determined annually based on availability of funds. In the past, program funds have been available to provide three types of support:

  1. A nine-month stipend to offset the cost of tuition and other training expenses for one academic year. Stipends are awarded based on merit and lack of other sources of support, such as research and teaching assistantships, and staff or other University of Washington (UW) appointments.
  2. Student practicum projects that advanced the MCH Program's training mission or that involve work with Title V agencies.
  3. Thesis awards to assist with research-related expenses, such as postage for a mail-out survey or subject incentives for primary data collection.

MCH Program policy: support of student research expenses from training grant funds (PDF)

Go to top of page

University of Washington

The UW's Office for Student Financial Aid offers loans, grants, scholarships, and work study based on financial need. To be considered, applicants must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid by February 28th. If you anticipate that you may need financial aid, we suggest applying as soon as possible. Should you qualify for a low-interest loan, but later decide you do not need it, you do not have to accept it.

The Graduate School has information on scholarships, fellowships, and teaching and research assistantships.

The Department of Epidemiology and the Department of Health Services MPH Program also have information on financial aid.

Go to top of page

Research Assistantships

By the end of the first year, students acquire skills which make them competitive for working as research assistants with principal investigators on funded research. Many of our core and affiliate faculty receive grants that fund research on a wide range of topics.

The best method for incoming students to obtain information regarding research assistantships is to:

  1. check either the Department of Health Services or Department of Epidemiology websites
  2. review the faculty interest list and contact faculty directly

For full-time students, a common strategy is to locate a 20-hour-per-week research assistantship that covers tuition, health insurance, and provides a small salary.

Go to top of page

Out-of-State Applicants

If accepted into the MCH program, you can cut your tuition costs by more than 60% by applying for residency status (not applicable to international students). Becoming a resident is not automatic: students must obtain a change-in-residency form from the MCH Program office and provide all the documents required by the Residency Office.

Go to top of page

UW Medical Center

MCH students with medical degrees may receive fellowships from the UW Medical Center or other local medical centers. Eligible applicants should contact appropriate faculty in the School of Medicine. Fellowship deadlines are usually earlier than our application deadline.

Go to top of page

Fellowship Search Services and Listings

The Council of Graduate Schools has links to sources for fellowships.

The UW Graduate School's Fellowships, Assistantships, and Awards also has links to many outside funding sources.

Please note that most non-UW scholarships have deadlines a year or more in advance of the start of the academic year. The MCH Program does not maintain information on such national programs.

Go to top of page