All applicants, regardless of the degree option they are applying to, must meet the minimum 4000-hour paid, direct, hands-on clinical patient care prerequisites. Competitive MEDEX candidates have more than the minimum 4000 hours (averaging a total of 6.5 years) of paid experience, usually in a primary care or emergency care setting. For details, see the following:
Each prerequisite course must be completed with a B- or better (per course).
All MEDEX prerequisite course work must be completed by the October 1st application deadline.
- Prerequisite courses taken autumn quarter, completed after October 1st, will not be considered when evaluating prerequisites.
- Coursework planned for spring or summer quarter of the upcoming year will not be accepted.
Human Anatomy and Physiology:
- Two (2) college-level courses in human anatomy and physiology
- Course completion recommended with in the last 5 to 7 years
- Courses can be combined A&P courses or individual human anatomy and human physiology
- Invertebrate zoology or mammalian A&P do not fulfill this requirement.
- Credits must total at least 10-quarter credits (or 6 semester credits).
- We recommend a cadaver or pro-section lab if available.
Three College-Level Science Courses:
- A minimum three (3) college-level basic science courses relevant to medicine.
- Courses considered include biology, chemistry, microbiology, pathophysiology, genetics, etc.
- Credits must total at least 15 quarter credits (or 9 semester credits).
- We strongly recommend that once you have satisfied the MEDEX science prerequisites, you continue to take basic science courses to strengthen your knowledge base.
- Each of our prerequisite courses must be taken as “stand-alone” courses, separate from any prior training program.
- Courses can be taken at any regionally accredited community college or university for a letter grade or grade on a 4.0 scale. This may include some college courses completed online, but applicants should check the accreditation status of the online institution before registering for courses.
UW and Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
Do not apply to the UW Graduate School at this time. If accepted to MEDEX, you will then be asked to apply to the UW Graduate School. MEDEX will provide instructions about how and when to apply through Graduate Enrollment Management Services in an official acceptance packet.
- Overall minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher for the last 2 years (90 quarter or 60 semester credits) of coursework
- GRE (required) within the last 5 years
- GRE scores must be self-reported on the CASPA application. Submit official scores to CASPA directly using the code 0548.
- After being accepted to MEDEX students will also be asked to submit GRE scores to the UW using the institution code 4854.
- GRE scores will not be required for applicants with a prior master’s degree earned at a regionally accredited institution.
- TOEFL required by UW Graduate School for international applicants who did not complete a bachelor’s degree at an institution in the US, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or Canada.