MEDEX 2014 Scholarship Awards Reception on April 26
Part of the WAPA Spring Conference
The annual MEDEX/WAPA Alumni Awards and Student Scholarship reception will be held on Saturday April 26, 2014 from 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm in rooms Evergreen 1 & 2 at the SeaTac Doubletree Inn. The reception will start with light refreshments and a cash bar, with the awards ceremony to follow. All MEDEX Northwest alumni and WAPA conference attendees are welcome to attend.
The MEDEX reception occurs on the first day of the WAPA 25th Spring Conference and Annual Recertification Review Course, which runs from April 26 through May 30. The location is the Doubletree Hotel-Seattle Airport, 18740 International Blvd., Seattle, WA 98188. Parking is provided for all WAPA conference attendees and hotel guests for a discounted rate of $10.00 for all day parking.
After opening remarks by Terry Scott, MPA PA-C and MEDEX Program Director, the evening’s ceremony is divided between student scholarships and alumni awards. This year’s ceremony will feature a new award, the Ellen Harder Memorial Scholarship, named after the beloved MEDEX faculty member who passed away in September of 2013. Nick Bozarth and Brenda LaVigne, both of Tacoma Class 1, are recipients of this award.
Other MEDEX student scholarship recipients are as follows:
- The Mike Merrill Memorial Scholarship will be presented to Jenny Fisher (Seattle Class 46)
- The Susan Vader Memorial Scholarship will be presented to Chipepo Mugala (Seattle Class 47)
- The Barbara Gunter Flynn Scholarship will be presented to Matthew Pippenger (Spokane Class 17)
- The Richard Smith, MD Endowing Scholarship will be presented to four students: Sarith Keo (Seattle Class 47), Jeffrey Hayward (Spokane Class 17), Tracie Alberts (Tacoma Class 1), and Deana Glick (Anchorage Class 4)
WAPA itself will present two important scholarships awards to several MEDEX students, including:
- The WAPA Scholarship Awards go to Michael Carter (Tacoma Class 1), Chipepo Mugala (Seattle Class 47), and Janina Tandoc (Seattle Class 48).
- The WAPA Veteran Scholarship Award will be presented to Evan Rowley (Spokane Class 17)
MEDEX will also present its Distinguished Alumni Awards to three well-known graduates, including:
- Katie Copps-Wilson, PA-C (Anchorage Class 1)—winner of the Future of MEDEX Award.
- Ed Lopez, PA-C (Seattle Class 15)—winner of the MEDEX Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Tracy Tran, PA-C (Seattle Class 26)—winner of the MEDEX Humanitarian Service Award.
Finally, MEDEX will acknowledge the service of two remarkable individuals:
- Beltecezar Gorospe, PA-C, will receive the Outstanding Preceptor Award.
- Stu Farber, MD, will receive the Excellence in Teaching Award.
WAPA (Washington State Academy of Physician Assistants) co-hosts this awards reception as part of their annual Spring Conference and Recertification Review Course. All Physician Assistants need continuing medical education to remain certified, and to continue to provide excellent patient care. The workshops and course lectures provided by this 5-day conference allow for review of major medical subject areas, better preparing PA’s about to take the NCCPA Recertification Examination. To view the 2014 WAPA Conference brochure in PDF format go to: http://goo.gl/YQGXvD