MEDEX and the Executive Master of Public Health (eMPH)
A collaborative master’s pathway is available with the School of Public Health and Community Medicine’s Executive MPH degree program. This collaborative pathway is currently being offered to MEDEX students in the bachelor’s degree option only (students in the master’s option are not eligible for the concurrent program at this time). The eMPH program is designed to be completed in three calendar years and requires the following components.
- Four weeks of intensive in-residence study on the UW campus for each of three summers
- Two academic years of coursework through directed independent study
- Attendance at four on-campus weekend (Fri-Sat) seminars at approximately two-month intervals during the first two academic years
- Completion of a thesis or an agency-related project
- Completion of a practicum (if needed)
MEDEX BCHS students are eligible to apply for the MPH program during their first year of PA training (February application). Acceptance is competitive and students choosing to apply for this option must meet all prerequisites for the MPH program.
Students in the MPH option will be expected to attend MPH classes in Seattle during 3 summer quarters, and also 4 weekends per year over a two-year period. Students accepted by the Executive MPH program will normally begin their public health coursework during the summer between their first and second year of the MEDEX program. Alternative timing would be to start near the end of the clinical phase. MEDEX training will satisfy 6 elective credits, and depending on your rotations, may satisfy 3 required practicum credits in the MPH program. MEDEX will consider a public health focus in arranging your clinical year. The MEDEX clinical elective rotation will be classified as “Public Health”, allowing a student to participate in the MPH required summer courses on campus during the MEDEX clinical year. The MPH degree will require a thesis or project, which can be developed during the physician assistant clinical year and completed after graduation from PA school.
Prerequisites for the MPH option include:
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- 3.0 grade point average on the most recent 90 quarter or 60 semester credits
- Three years experience in a healthcare field
- GRE within the last six years
Current MEDEX students must consult with designated personnel at MEDEX prior to beginning an application for this dual program option. Contact the main office at (206) 616-4001.
For more information about the UW Executive MPH program: