Online News Service
Dec. 11, 1998
BB-Tower to be named after George Aagaard
The 17-story BB-Tower at the UW Health Sciences Center will be named in honor of the late George N. Aagaard. The Board of Regents approved the action Nov. 20. A ceremony is planned for early 1999.
Aagaard served as the second dean of the UW School of Medicine from 1954 to 1964. He continued on the faculty in the Department of Medicine until his death in May of 1997. Aagaard garnered public support for building University Hospital (now UW Medical Center). When he retired as dean, the medical school was among the top in federal research funding and on its way to becoming a leading training ground for generalist physicians.
Aagaard founded the Division of Clinical Pharmacology. He also brought his problem-solving abilities to the position of UW Ombudsman. In 1987, he became the University's first Distinguished Professor of Medicine.
Aagaard's widow, Lorna Aagaard, shared and still carries on his devotion to the University and medical school. She was among the first volunteers at University Hospital and continues to extend her kindness to patients today.