The application period is now open!
You are committed to:
- Fully participate as a mentor for the OMA&D Mentor Program, Autumn Quarter (show up and be engaged)
- Connect with your protégé(s) at least once a week
- Attend the Autumn Quarter Mentor Kickoff, date TBA
- Submit a post-program evaluation
- Building an open and successful peer mentor relationship
The Office of Minority Affairs & Diversity (OMA&D) Mentor Power for Success Program invites you to be a student mentor for Autumn Quarter.We are looking for 50 dynamic, motivated and qualified UW students from various academic fields to serve as student mentors for Autumn Quarter! You can make an important difference by volunteering. As a student mentor, you will be paired with an incoming OMA&D freshman or transfer student and help them adjust to the rigors of college life in a fun and personal way. Mentors have the option of taking GEN ST 350 credit
Applications are due no later than Friday, June 5th, 2015
. Priority for matching are completed with the protégés’ best interest in mind.
- UW Sophomores, Juniors and continuing Seniors – excluding graduating seniors this spring or summer
- Minimum 2.8 UW cumulative GPA
- Good interpersonal, communication and listening skills
- Ability to empathize and provide academic and personal support to a first-year OMA&D student
- Familiar with UW resources and OMA&D support services to help students navigate successfully at UW
- Desire and interest in helping new freshmen and transfer students feel welcomed and confident to be a successful Husky!
- Serve as a positive role model and enjoy a friendship with a new UW student
- Make an important difference in a first-year student’s life as they transition to UW
- Opportunity to attend and facilitate engaging Leadership, Career & networking, and Cultural Enrichment workshops
- Connect with various Career Professionals and develop essential career networking skills at the Diversity Network Reception in Winter Quarter
- Student Mentor Teams are committed for the duration of Autumn Quarter (September – December).
- Connect weekly with your protégé(s) to help them adjust and succeed during their first quarter. This will be a combination of meeting in-person over coffee to email…but we strongly encourage you to attend our fun mentor activities.
- Attend Mentor Training on: Wednesday, September 16th, 2015. From 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM. In the ECC Theatre.
- Attend the Autumn Kickoff event on: Date TBA.
- Submit the post-program evaluation