The Application is Now Open!
The Samuel E. Kelly Ethnic Cultural Center is recruiting student mentors for the year of 2016 – 2017 Mentor Power For Success program. The Mentor Power for Success Program is a dynamic autumn quarter partnership between first-year Office of Minority Affairs & Diversity (OMA&D) students (protégés) and continuing UW students (mentors), to help protégés make a successful transition to university life. Mentor students use their knowledge of UW resources and services to guide protégés as they navigate the breadth of what the university has to offer.
Student Mentor Qualifications
- UW Sophomores, Juniors and continuing Seniors – excluding graduating seniors this spring or summer
- Minimum 2.8 UW cumulative GPA
- Good interpersonal, communication and listening skills
- Ability to empathize and provide academic and personal support to a first-year OMA&D student
- Familiar with UW resources and OMA&D support services to help students navigate successfully at UW
- Desire and interest in helping new freshmen and transfer students feel welcomed and confident to be a successful Husky!
Benefits of Being a Mentor
- Serve as a positive role model and enjoy a friendship with a new UW student
- Make an important difference in a first-year student’s life as they transition to UW
- Opportunity to attend and facilitate engaging Leadership, Career & networking, and Cultural Enrichment workshops
- Connect with various Career Professionals and develop essential career networking skills at the Diversity Network Reception in Winter Quarter
Student Mentor Commitment
- Student Mentor Teams are committed for the duration of Autumn Quarter (September – December).
- Connect weekly with your protégé(s) to help them adjust and succeed during their first quarter. This will be a combination of meeting in-person over coffee to email…but we strongly encourage you to attend our fun mentor activities.
- Attend Mentor Training on: Monday, September 19th, 2016. From 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM. In the ECC Theatre.
- Attend the Autumn Kickoff event on: October 10th, 2016 from 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM.
- Submit the post-program evaluation