Seattle MESA is working with Marine Biology experts at the University of Washington to introduce high school students to a wide variety of Marine Biology careers that will allow them to experience the “wow factor” of Marine Biology through hands-on experience and experimentation. Saturday Academy consists of two levels:
- Introductory – in which students are introduced to the field, have the opportunity to engage in experiential hands-on learning, and meet and network with in-practice professionals in the greater Seattle community who can speak enthusiastically to their career. Designed for 9th and 10th grade students, but available to any student.
- Advanced – in which returning Saturday Academy students have the opportunity to increase their content knowledge and skill sets, engage in experiential hands-on learning, meet and network with faculty researchers at the UW, mentor Introductory Saturday Academy students, and present their work to colleagues, friends and family.
The Saturday Academy Program focuses on the following areas:
- Emphasize careers and educational opportunities in Marine Biology
- Integrate programming with state science standards
- Highlight and utilize University of Washington resources
- Expose students to Marine Biology resources, careers, and opportunities in the greater Seattle community
- Have Fun!