Harborview Medical Center
The Endocrinology Clinic at Harborview provides care to patients for the evaluation, management and education of patients with diabetes type 1 and diabetes type 2, endocrine diseases (thyroid, adrenal, pituitary, lipid and gonads), hypercholestremia, hyperlipidemia and obesity. Lipid apheresis is provided for patients with otherwise unmanageable hypercholestremia/hyperlipidemia.
For primary obesity, please contact the Weight Regulation Diagnostic & Evaluation Center.
The Lipid Clinic at HMC provides consultation and evaluation for patients with:
- Dyslipidemia, abnormal lipid level in the blood
- Hypercholesterolemia, excessively high amount of cholesterol in the blood
- Hypertriglyceridemia, excessively high levels of triglycerides in the blood
- Premature coronary disease
- Increased risk of premature vascular disease
- Hyperlipidemia, excessively high lipid level in the blood
The Weight Regulation Diagnostic and Evaluation Center at Harborview provides evaluation, diagnosis, management suggestions and education for patients of all ages with disorders of weight regulation, including patients with diabetes, hypertension or heart disease complicated by excessive weight gain and obesity. Patients with conditions such as anorexia, cachexia related to cancer, AIDS or rheumatoid arthritis are also treated at this clinic.
Emphasis is placed on an integrated approach, requiring lifestyle modifications including diet and physical activity. The goal is enhancement of activities of daily living. Pharmacologic therapy may be offered on a limited basis when indicated and available.
The Weight Regulation Diagnostic and Evaluation Center at Harborview addresses the reality that obesity is one of many disorders associated with body weight regulation. While effective therapies are being evaluated for these disorders, much can be done to minimize complications from these conditions and enhance the health and well being of patients with these conditions.
- Physicians with expertise in weight regulation provide assessments.
- Dietitians assist with evaluations and dietary and consumer education.
- Physical therapists assist in developing an individualized exercise programs.
- Patient care coordinator assists with the coordination of medical care and access to health care. This may include accessing resources, scheduling appointments and addressing financial and insurance concerns, as needed.
- Harborview’s Patient and Family Resource Center offers classes and resources in the management of chronic conditions (such as diabetes), healthy eating and weight loss support.