Preparation for admission to the Graduate Program:
The Department of Microbiology strongly recommends that undergraduate preparation include courses in biochemistry, physics, general and organic chemistry, microbiology, molecular biology, and cell biology. It’s important that prospective students seek opportunities to carry out undergraduate research. Selection is based on the evaluation of a student's undergraduate record for indications of the ability to excel in independent and creative research. Applicants must have completed a baccalaureate or advanced degree by the time of matriculation.
Deadline: December 15th for domestic and international applicants. Interviews are by invitation only and are normally held in February.
Apply Online: Review the information before starting the application process. The UW Graduate School’s application fee is paid online using MasterCard or Visa credit or debit cards. Apply online here.
Tips While Applying Online:
- Graduate Record Exam: Please register to take the exam by October in order for the scores to arrive in time. The UW Institution Code is 4854. A subject exam is not required.
- TOEFL: International applicants only.
English Language Proficiency Requirements.. Institution Code 4854. Scores are valid for two years.
- Transcripts: Unofficial transcript(s) are to be uploaded into the provided space. Do not send hard copy transcripts. Official transcripts will be required of those admitted to the University of Washington.
- Resume: Include your educational background, course work in progress, work experience, honors, internships, awards and prizes, and papers that you have co-authored, if any.
- Statement of Purpose: Include specific information about your research experience, what inspired you to pursue graduate studies, why you are interested in our program, and what are your research goals.
Applicants with varied cultural experiences and educationally or economically disadvantaged backgrounds are encouraged to include these factors in the review of their application.
- Letters of Recommendation and Evaluation: Limit of 3 letters. When you list your references, they are automatically sent instructions on how to submit a letter of recommendation, and an evaluation. Be sure that the email addresses are correct.
- The review is done online: Please do not send application materials.