Remembering Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Legacy
at the University of Washington...
The Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service has been celebrated at the University of Washington, in collaboration with the United Way of King County, for over ten years. Learn more about this legacy of service... view interviews with past MLK Day of Service participants, find links to helpful resources and biographies, watch a video recording of the "I Have a Dream" speech, check-out photos from past MLK Day of Service projects around King County, read news stories about past Day of Service events, and more.
To get involved in upcoming MLK Day of Service activities, visit the UW Carlson Center website: http://mlkjr.washington.edu
MLK Day of Service at the University of Washington...
Hear from UW students, staff, and faculty who made a commitment to serve in 2011.
"Following in the footsteps of a dream:
Students, staff, alumni lend a hand for Martin Luther King Jr" by Evelyne Kolker
(*Be sure to check out the video feature of the event posted in the top right of the article).
"Martin Luther King's Controversial Visit to Seattle:
Rev. Samuel B. McKinney Tells the Story"
*Includes a lesson plan for teaching about Dr. King's visit to Seattle and
links to several Video Oral Histories.
"Martin Luther King, Jr., And The Labor Movement":
An interview on KUOW (NPR Radio) with Michael Honey, professor at UW-Tacoma,
about his collection of Dr. King's speeches related to the labor movement.
New book on Martin Luther King Jr. and economic rights: "All Labor Has Dignity"
a story from UW News and Information about the book by Michael K. Honey.
Find additional photos & videos on our Facebook site:
- Learn more from the Corporation for National & Community Service.
MLK Day of Service is the only federal holiday observed as a national day of service.
"After a long struggle, legislation was signed in 1983 creating a federal holiday marking the birthday of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The federal holiday was first observed in 1986." Find more information about what's happening around the country for MLK Day, including a resource for finding service projects around the state of Washington, or view the MLK Legacy of Service video series: http://mlkday.gov/promote/videos.php
- "Martin Luther King Jr. was a student once; who could have guessed his future?" - A short opinion article in University Week from Dean of Undergraduate Academic Affiars, Ed Taylor
- The Meaning of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday (by Coretta Scott King)
- Read a Biography of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Watch Dr. King's "I have a Dream" speach
- Visit the King Center website and learn about why we choose to celebrate Dr. King through a Day of Service
- Visit the National MLK Jr. Day of Service website to learn about service that is strengthening communities around the country
- Learn more about the MLK Day march & rally happening in Seattle
- Discover ways to support the Statewide Poverty Action Network in addressing the root causes of poverty and influencing decisions in the state capitol
- Find ways that you can continue to serve beyond the MLK Jr. Day of Service
- Check out some of the excellent news articles in the UW Daily Newspaper or University Week about past MLK Jr. Day of Service projects
- Go to the Links section of this website for more
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.