- Boeing-Steiner Professor of Materials Science & Engineering
Professor of Chemical Engineering
Adjunct Professor of Mechanical Engineering
|Office:||302M Roberts Hall|
|Web:||Research Group Web Page|
Ph.D., Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, the Netherlands, 1991
Current research is focused mainly on processing, characterization, and applications of dielectrics, ferroelectrics, piezoelectrics, scintillation oxides, intercalation compounds, organic-inorganic hybrids, and nanostructured materials and coatings. Processing techniques include sol-gel processing, hydrothermal growth, electrochemical and electrophoretic deposition, and self-assembly. The research emphasis is to achieve novel properties for various applications through control of micro and nanostructure, and atomic engineering of materials through processing and composition design. In general, our research can be grouped into the following directions:
- Dye-sensitized and organic-inorganic hybrid solar cells.
- Nanostructured electrodes for Li ion batteries.
- Carbon cryogel supercapacitors.
- Coherent carbon cryogel, hydride, and catalytic oxide nanocomposites for H2 storage.
- Template-based growth of nanorod, nanotube, and nanocable arrays.
- Dielectrics, ferroelectrics, and piezoelectrics and devices.
- Organic-inorganic hybrids and coatings for sensing, filtration, corrosion protection, and surface modification.
- Y. Wang and G.Z. Cao, “Synthesis and Electrochemical Properties of Nanostructured InVO4 Electrodes,” Journal of Materials Chemistry 17, 894-899 (2007).
- T.P. Chou, Q.F. Zhang, G.E. Fryxell, B. Russo, and G.Z. Cao, “Dependence of Dye Adsorption and Energy Conversion Efficiency on Titania Particle Morphology and Size,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C111, 6296-6302 (2007).
- H.M. Shang, M. Bliss, S. Heald, T.K. Sham, F. Heigl, and G.Z. Cao, “Dense and Optical Transparent CdWO4 Films by Sol-Gel Processing for Scintillation,” Journal of Materials Research 22, 1527-1536 (2007).
- A. Feaver, S. Sepehri, P. Shamberger, T. Autrey, and G.Z. Cao, “Coherent Carbon Cryogel – Hydride Nanocomposites for Hydrogen Storage,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B111, 7469-7472 (2007).
- P. Xiao, B.B. Garcia, D.W. Liu, and G.Z. Cao, “TiO2 Nanotubes Arrays Fabricated in Different Electrolytes for Biosensing,” Electrochemistry Communications 9, 2441-2447 (2007).
- T.P. Chou, Q.F. Zhang, G.E. Fryxell, and G.Z. Cao, “Dye-Sensitized Hierarchically Structured ZnO Solar Cells for Highly Efficient Energy Harvesting,” Advanced Materials 19, 2588-2592 (2007).
- T.P. Chou, Q.F. Zhang, and G.Z. Cao, “Influences of Dye Loading Conditions on Energy Conversion Efficiency in ZnO and TiO2 Dye Sensitized Solar Cells,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C111, 18804-18811 (2007).
- S. Sepehri, A.M. Feaver, W.J. Shaw, C.J. Howard, Q.F. Zhang, T. Autrey, and G.Z. Cao, “Spectroscopic Study on Dehydrogenation of Ammonia Borane in Carbon Cryogels,’ Journal of Physical Chemistry B111, 14285-14289 (2007).
- B. Russo and G.Z. Cao, “Synthesis and Characterization of FTO Films and Nanorod Arrays by Intermittent Sol Spray Pyrolysis,” Applied Physics A90, 311-315 (2008).
- G.Z. Cao and D.W. Liu, “Template-based Synthesis of Nanorod and Nanowire Arrays,” (Review Article), Advances in Colloid and Interface Science 136, 45-64 (2008).
- D.W. Liu, Q.F. Zhang, P. Xiao, B.B. Garcia, Q. Guo, R. Champion, and G.Z. Cao, “Hydrous Manganese Oxides Nanowall Electrodes for Enhanced Lithium Ion Intercalation,” Chemistry of Materials 20, 1376-1380 (2008).
- Q.F. Zhang, T.P. Chou, B. Russo, G.E. Fryxell, S.A. Jenekhe, and G.Z. Cao, “High Conversion Efficiency in Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells through Controlled Aggregation of ZnO Nanocrystallites,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition 47, 2402-2406 (2008).
- Y. Wang and G.Z. Cao, “New Developments of Nanostructured Cathode Materials for Highly Efficient Lithium Ion Batteries,” (Review Article), Advanced Materials 20, 2251-2269 (2008).
- Q.F. Zhang, T.P. Chou, B. Russo, S.A. Jenekhe, and G.Z. Cao, “Light Scattering Enhanced Energy Conversion Efficiency in Hierarchically-Structured ZnO Dye Sensitized Solar Cells,” Advanced Functional Materials 18, 1654-1660 (2008).
- B.B. Garcia, A. Feaver, G.T. Seidler, and G.Z. Cao, “Effect of Pore Morphology on Electrochemical Properties of Carbon Cryogel Supercapacitors,” Journal of Applied Physics 104, 014305 (9p) (2008).
- C.C. Lee, Q. Guo, G.Z. Cao, and I.Y. Shen, “Effect of Electrode Size and Silicon Residue on Piezoelectric Thin-Film Membrane Actuators,” Sensors and Actuators A147, 279-285 (2008).
- D.W. Liu, P. Xiao, Y.H. Zhang, B.B. Garcia, Q.F. Zhang, Q. Guo, R. Champion, G.Z. Cao, “Lithium Ion Intercalation Properties of TiO2 Nanotube Arrays Annealed in N2,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C112, 11175-11180 (2008).
- S. Sepehri, B.B. Garcia, and G.Z. Cao, “Tuning Dehydrogenation Temperatures of Carbon – Amonia Borane Nanocomposites,” Journal of Materials Chemistry 18, 4034-4037 (2008).
- P. Xiao, D.W. Liu, B.B. Garcia, Q. Guo, S. Sepehri, Y.H. Zhang, and G.Z. Cao, “Electrochemical and Photoelectrical Properties of Titania Nanotube Arrays Annealed in Nitrogen, Air and Argon,” Sensors and Actuators B134, 367-372 (2008).
- J. Liu, G.Z. Cao, Z.G. Yang, D. Dubois, X.D. Zhou, D.H. Wang, Q.F. Zhang, and G.L. Graff, “Oriented Nanostructures and Nanoenergy,” ChemSusChem 1, 676-697 (2008).
Professional Recognition and Honors
University Distinguished Teaching Award, University of Washington, 2000
Member of UW Teaching Academy, 2000 – present
College Outstanding Educator Award, College of Engineering, UW, 1999
Department Faculty of the Year Awards, MSE, UW, 1997, 1998, 1999, and 2000
European Union Research Fellowship, the Netherlands, 1993
UW Department of Materials Science & Engineering
phone: (206) 543-2600
fax: (206) 543-3100